Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Broken iPhone 5

After a drop of 3ft, my brand new iPhone 5 broke.

The screen came out, the tactile doens't work, the glass is broken and the aluminum back is slightly twisted.

Is it normal? I don't think so.

I've had 3 iPhone and I dropped them many times without any of them got broken.

Everyone in my family has an iPhone and my brother recently dropped his from 12ft and it didnt' broke.

I'm from belgium, and here I payed my iPhone 32gb 799€, witch is quite a lot.

Has this happend to anybody els?

Do you think Apple would do something?

Thanks,

F. B.

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2, broken

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:27 AM

11 replies

Jan 3, 2013 4:34 AM in response to FelixBouland

The Apple warranty does not cover accidental damage. However, it is always worth trying your local Apple store, as sometimes they are generous and will replace it free of charge.

If they do not, you will need to use the Apple Out-of-Warranty service where you will get a re-furbished, equivalent phone for 241,10€ (Euros).

See Service Centre > Warranty & Service Pricing for more information. (Change the Country to Belgium in the drop-down box).

Jan 3, 2013 4:41 AM in response to FelixBouland

You are presumtious in assuming that a drop will not ruin your phone. Seems that your brother was lucky that his phone survived a 12ft drop. Your damage is not covered by the standard Apple warranty. You could try to get a replacement, but after you bring in the mangle that is your iPhone now, I doubt it. Be more careful next time.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

Jan 3, 2013 5:02 AM in response to FelixBouland

I just assumed that it would be stronger.

Apple is so proud to say that they use the best materials, witch for me is true, because I'm not just comparing this drop to my brother's iphone one, but to all the others that I had with my old iphones.

I've got plenty of other examples, I just used that one cause I thought it was impressive.

And what worried me the most is that the aluminum is twisted, th back isn't flat any more.

I've been to my local apple store, the thing is it's not an apple store but an apple premium reseller and they can't do anything.

Here's the photo.

User uploaded file

Thank for helping,

F. B.

Jan 3, 2013 11:05 AM in response to FelixBouland

FelixBouland wrote:

How do I contact Apple?

See the link CONTACT US at the bottom of this page. Take your phone to an Apple store to see what they say.

BTW,IMHO you have a very weak argument. The video you have posted proves nothing. You could have dropped your phone from 3 ft or 30 ft. Makes no difference; the fact is that it was damaged accidentally, which is not covered by warranty.

Jan 3, 2013 2:12 PM in response to FelixBouland

FelipeV tells it like it is, accidental damage is not covered by Apple's warranty. There are some wireless (mobile) networks that cover accident damage; such as, Canada's Rogers Wireless Network. So, Felix, you should try to see if your mobile company will cover the damage, if it was purchased from them. Alternatively, in Canada, homeowners insurance would cover such instances. Read your home insurance policy. The glass portion of the iPhone seems like its part of the overall structure, just like in vehicles. Gorilla glass is tough, but it still can be damage even from a small drop at a certain angle. If the glass wasn't there, would it be able to bend the aluminum at that height? Is the metal really that thin?

Broken iPhone 5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.