Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print via a local printer using apple remote desktop

Hi,

I currently remote into my mac pro at work using apple remote desktop and I am wondering if it is possible to use my local printer?

I have shared the printer on my machine however I have tried adding it to the remote machine via IP but it fails to find the correct driver I try adding it manually, however I get the following error when I try to print "on hold (Authentication required)"

Am I just missing something simple, or does apple desktop not support local printers?

Many thanks

Ben

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 4:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:10 AM

Not via ARD, no. ARD only controls the remote system; it does not allow transfer of any functions from the remote system to your local system.

As to printer sharing, that normally works only on the local network, so your remote system won't natively discover your home printer. You might look into Slink:

http://slinkware.com

which I believe makes such printing possible, assuming of course that any firewall on your work network would allow that (many companies will block the necessary ports which would make this impossible).

Regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2013 7:10 AM in response to Internet Gypsy

Not via ARD, no. ARD only controls the remote system; it does not allow transfer of any functions from the remote system to your local system.

As to printer sharing, that normally works only on the local network, so your remote system won't natively discover your home printer. You might look into Slink:

http://slinkware.com

which I believe makes such printing possible, assuming of course that any firewall on your work network would allow that (many companies will block the necessary ports which would make this impossible).

Regards.

Print via a local printer using apple remote desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.