Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac - Panic Error & Failed Reinstall

Let's start with...I've been using Apple for 5 years but I am novice to operating system procedures and completely ignorant to a vast amount of technical terms.

It all started with a bad update. I got a panic error. I went online, found some info and booted in safe mode to perform a re-install. (Came with Leopard, upgraded to Lion but not Mountain Lion).

I let the install go overnight and at 3pm the next day, it was still on the same screen: grey, icon spinning & the universal "no" symbol prominently displayed where the Apple Icon would be.

I shut it down by holding the power key because after 20 hours...yeah I figured it was long enough.

Now - I can no longer boot in safe mode. Upon the attempt, it goes back to the no symbol.

I have never had a Kernel Panic before.

I have my original software, am hardlined to the internet and have not backed up. What do I do now?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 5:50 AM

10 replies

Jan 3, 2013 7:50 AM in response to udbmello2

Part of the problem is you are not following instructions. The isntructions clearly say:

If a kernel panic occurs, information is added to a log file in the folder /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (Mac OS X v10.6), or /Library/Logs/PanicReporter (Mac OS X v10.5).

The name of each log file in this location includes the date and time when the kernel panic was logged.

To get to that path you need to know how to use Finder! What you do is open Finder - Go Menu - Click the Go to.... and copy and paste /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and click enter. This will take you to that path, locate the last Kernel report and copy and paste it. If you cannot do that then you will need to take the machine in for service.

Jan 3, 2013 8:32 AM in response to udbmello2

Gentlemen (presumably), I do not think either of you understand. I CANNOT get into the computer's desktop therefore I can neither open utilities, nor log the panic kernel. Can either of you tell me how to get to the desktop because I just get a screen with a circle and a line through the circle (universal symbol for "no").

Please excuse me if I did not clearly indicate that I CANNOT get to the desktop or command prompt.

Jan 3, 2013 8:48 AM in response to udbmello2

It all started with a bad update. I got a panic error. I went online, found some info and booted in safe mode to perform a re-install. (Came with Leopard, upgraded to Lion but not Mountain Lion).

What were you reinstalling? If you had to go online for that, I'm assuming it was Lion, not Leopard. Sounds like reinstalling via internet recovery failed miserably. It certainly is a miserable way to go about reinstalling.

Not sure this will help, but see if it will boot into single user mode, Cmd-S at the chime.

Then follow the directions for Use fsck if necessary

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1417

Jan 3, 2013 12:55 PM in response to udbmello2

Unfortunately, unless someone else comes along with a better idea, I have the feeling you are going to have to do a clean install and return to Snow Leopard (which you probably have from when you first installed Lion), update back to 10.6.7 in order to get into the App Store, and then reinstall Lion.

I don't want to rub it in--I know you're already in deep sh**-- but you were skating on very thin ice all along not having a backup to restore.

iMac - Panic Error & Failed Reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.