Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing ram in a late 2012 27 inch iMac

I'm going to be getting my first iMac shortly and I'm planning on purchasing 16GB ram and installing it along with the 8GB of ram that the iMac will come with.

I was wondering if there needs to be a particular ram module that needs to be installed in a particular slot, for example to give me a dual channel function in the ram, or is this something that doesn't need to be done on the iMac and if that is the case can I just install the ram modules I purchase in any free slots?

Windows Vista, iPad (3rd Gen) 32GB iPhone 5 32GB

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:08 AM

7 replies

Jan 20, 2013 12:10 AM in response to tal1971

Just an update about installing ram in a particular slot:

From another forum:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=16673998&postcount=78

From Crucial ram tech support:

Apple installs the two 4GB sticks in the slots the processor accesses first for RAM.

Crucial recommends removing the two 4GB sticks (Apple's ram) and replacing with their two 8GB sticks, then installing the original two 4GB sticks (Apple's ram) in the remaining two empty slots.

From Apple tech:

Apple also recommends remove their two 4GB sticks, replace with the two Crucial 8GB sticks, then install the Apple sticks in the remaining empties.

Installing ram in a late 2012 27 inch iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.