Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off internal speakers when using earphones

Hi Folks,

I have GarageBand 11 and use a Mac Pro running 10.6.8

When I’m working in GarageBand I use a headphone with an attached microphone. When I bring a song over from iTunes to edit in GarageBand is there a way I can set GarageBand so that the music only plays through the headphone and not the internal Mac Pro speakers?

My wife is a good woman but there are rumors that could change unless I get this figure out... Its either that or going to the basement which in and of itself would not be too bad. But we don't have a basement!

Harry

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:17 AM

4 replies

Jan 3, 2013 9:42 AM in response to Foodsman

How do you plug in the headset? When I use the headphones, plugged into the "Headphone" port, the internal speakers are disabled automatically. I wonder, why you or your wife are stll hearing the speakers. Does the port not work properly? Have you tried to move the plug for a better contact?

Or do you set the volume so high, that your wife still can hear the sound just from the headphones?

Regards

Léonie

Jan 3, 2013 10:07 AM in response to Foodsman

I do not have an USB headphone to check this, but with my USB microphone I select the input source in the System Preferences "Sound" panel. I expect the same should work for the output channel.

What do you see, when you open System Preferences and select the "Sound" (or "Audio") panel and click the Output tab. You should be able to select a device for system output.

Regards

Léonie

For example, on my system I see only the internal speakers, but your headset should also appear, unless your device needs a special driver.

User uploaded file

Jan 3, 2013 2:29 PM in response to Foodsman

Hello again LeonieDF,

I tried that and it worked fine in iTunes but did nothing for GarageBand, GarageBand still played through the internal speakers. However, I opened preferences in GarageBand and was able to make a selection there and its playing through the headphones and not the internal sperkers.

I appreciate your help,

Harry

How to turn off internal speakers when using earphones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.