Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can,t my ipad set my location

why can,t my ipad find my location at home with wifi only i need it to use other apps

iPad, iOS 6.0.1, none

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 9:33 AM

Do you have the Wifi only iPad, or the cellular version? The Wifi iPad does not include the GPS hardware, so it has to determine your location from the local wifi networks it encounters. This only works if those networks are in the database and is not reliable all the time.

9 replies

Jan 3, 2013 10:24 AM in response to Gypsygypsy

Your phone uses the cell tower and possibly GPS (depend on the phone) to determine location. These are not avilable on your Wifi iPad. It is forced to rely on databsed information about your internet priovider network, whiich can sometimes be incomplete.

One way to test this is to go out and connect to a public WiFi hot spot. These are usually well mapped. If your iPad can use location services there, that will be a pretty good indication its an issue with our connection at home (and unfotunately not one you can do much about).

Also, have you actually turned location services on for the iPad? Open the Settings app > Privacy > Location Services. You can turn it on for the device as well as determine which apps are permitted to use it.

why can,t my ipad set my location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.