Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad hard drive from factory

I was wondering the best way to erase personal things on a hard drive, I need to have the hard drive replaced but would like to erase first

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Bad hard drive

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 2:50 PM

10 replies

Jan 5, 2013 10:49 AM in response to Nathaniel North

Clone your internal drive to the external useing either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, bth good programs to have (I have both).

Then you can boot and run the system from the external and Re-Partition the internal drive while running the system from the external.

Once the system returns from the HDD replacement you can again use CCC or SD to ReClone the new internal drive and you'll be back to where you left off when you sent it in.

EDIT: NOTE that running the system from an external drive will make it slower in all functions.

Jan 5, 2013 11:14 AM in response to Shootist007

Then you can boot and run the system from the external and Re-Partition the internal drive while running the system from the external.

Rather than just repartitioning it, reformat and erase it, including using the zero out data security option. That should wipe all of your data off the HD. Once the HD is replaced, ensure that the machine boots and runs from the new HD; then, when you get it home, boot with the ext HD, wipe the int HD, and restore the bootable backup/clone.

Jan 5, 2013 11:24 AM in response to baltwo

Re-Partitioning it DOES Format and Erase everything. Even the hidden Recovery HD partition.

If you just Erase all that does is erase whatever partition you selected and does not get rid of the hidden recovery HD partition.

baltwo wrote:

Rather than just repartitioning it, reformat and erase it, including using the zero out data security option. That should wipe all of your data off the HD. Once the HD is replaced, ensure that the machine boots and runs from the new HD; then, when you get it home, boot with the ext HD, wipe the int HD, and restore the bootable backup/clone.

Jan 5, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Shootist007

From the help files:

If you want to prevent the erased files from being recovered, click Security Options, select the option you want, and click OK.

That's enough to tell me that repartitioning doesn't do what you think it does. Most 3rd-party recovery tools can retrieve the data. The only way to remove your data is to securely erase it.

The horse is dead, so I'm out of here.

Bad hard drive from factory

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.