Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to reinstall OSX Mountain Lion

I installed osx mountain lion on my computer a few months ago and it initially worked fine. My computer crashed and now I am trying to reinstall mountain lion via command-r and osx utilities. When I start to reinstall osx a message comes up saying "To download and restore OS X, your computer's eligibility will be verified with apple" shortly after clicking continue another message takes its place saying "An error occured while preparing the installation. Try running this application again." I have tried to do this 5 times now. I do not have the original os x disc the computer came with. Any suggestions on how to fix this problem?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:23 PM

If I were you, I would just go to the App Store and redownload Mountain Lion from your "Purchases" tab. After it downloads it will try to install. Quit the installation at that point and have a 8GB+ USB flash drive handy and use Lion DiskMaker to make a bootable installation drive that you'll be able to use again should the need arise.

Then you can boot from the USB flash drive and reinstall Mountain Lion.

Good luck,

Clinton

Edit; Sorry, I missed the part that stated that you wanted to downgrade to Lion - the only way I know to to that is if you've a machine that shipped with Lion. You should be able to go to Internet Recovery (Command, option, R keys held down whilst booting) and erase your drive and reinstall Lion - if that's what your computer shipped with.

Message was edited by: clintonfrombirmingham

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 3, 2013 6:23 PM in response to dkruger12

If I were you, I would just go to the App Store and redownload Mountain Lion from your "Purchases" tab. After it downloads it will try to install. Quit the installation at that point and have a 8GB+ USB flash drive handy and use Lion DiskMaker to make a bootable installation drive that you'll be able to use again should the need arise.

Then you can boot from the USB flash drive and reinstall Mountain Lion.

Good luck,

Clinton

Edit; Sorry, I missed the part that stated that you wanted to downgrade to Lion - the only way I know to to that is if you've a machine that shipped with Lion. You should be able to go to Internet Recovery (Command, option, R keys held down whilst booting) and erase your drive and reinstall Lion - if that's what your computer shipped with.

Message was edited by: clintonfrombirmingham

Jan 3, 2013 6:54 PM in response to dkruger12

If the installation is failing, your boot disk may be damaged. Open Disk Utility and - if it can find the startup partition - try verifying and, if needed, repairing the partition. If that doesn't work, your hard drive may be dying, with only the small Recovery parition intact.

Your only other choice - and this is if Disk Utility can see the startup partition - is to erase the drive using Disk Utility and format it as "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" with a single GUID partition. This will wipe all data from your hard drive, so I'm hoping that you have a backup? After erasing and formatting the drive, try installing the OS again.

That's about as good as it gets - if everything fails, then your hard drive is likely dead and you'll need to replace it.

Good luck,

Clinton

Jan 3, 2013 7:05 PM in response to clintonfrombirmingham

When I go to disk utility the options on the left side are 250.06 GB Hitachi Media and Macintosh HD. I verified and repaired both of those and already cleared the Macintosh HD one. I then tried to reinstall OS X and still got the same error. The hard drive shouldnt be bad seeing is how I just got it back from best buy saying that there were no hardware problems that it was a software problem

Jan 3, 2013 7:14 PM in response to dkruger12

If Disk Utility is 'seeing' the drive "Macintosh HD" then you should be able to hold down the option key and select it as the startup disk - unless the OS is damaged on it, of course. Of course, you should be able to directly reinstall OS X from the Recovery partition, as well.

I don't know what else to tell you - you may have to take your machine into your local Apple Store or an AASP (I wouldn't take it back to Best Buy, if you can help it: I've found those people to be idiots) and have them boot the machine and try reinstalling OS X via a USB flash drive.

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help...

Clinton

Unable to reinstall OSX Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.