Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on Mac: country and region code?

Hi,

The Message app in Mac OS it's not working correctly, and I think it's because of the country and region code.

I can't send messages to the contact phone number (previously added to Contacts app) as I do on the iPhone, it says the number is not registered with iMessage. I have to manually type 5511 (my country and region code) before the phone number. I do not need to do this on the iPhone, all local phones have no code at all and are in the format ####-####.

Everything else works fine, the messages are even synced in both devices, but as the Mac OS app sees the sender's number with country and region code, it does not match any of my contacts in the Contacts app.

Is there any preference I need to set or any other way to resolve this?

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 6:39 PM

6 replies

Jan 5, 2013 12:23 PM in response to fabio.solive

Hi,

In my Contacts app the cards list numbers as if they were for international dialling ( i.e with leading +44 even for "Local" numbers)

The tend to be in the format +44 (0) xxxx xxxxxx on the Cards and Messages on the iPhone seems to sort this.

"Locally" I would dial 0xxxx xxxxxx (11 digits)

User uploaded file
8:23 PM Saturday; January 5, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 iMac 2.5Ghz 5i 2011 (Mountain Lion 10.8.2)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad
"Limit the Logs to the Bits above Binary Images."  No, Seriously

Jan 5, 2013 1:02 PM in response to fabio.solive

HI,

Actually they are two different apps and the approaches are slightly different.

The iOS version can check if the recipient is also iMessages compatible and will switch to SMS if Not.

This means there are extra steps before iMessages are sent to the iMessages server for delivery.

The Mac version can tell you the recipient is not using iMessages but does not switch to SMS meaning the action is Local to the device and not at Server level.

As far as I can tell the iMessages server works on storing full international Numbers as an ID which is then linked to an Apple ID.

Obviously the numbers can vary in the number of digits with some countries only having one leading + digit (i.e America is +1) and others have longer (i.e. the UK is +44 and Brazil is +55)

In the UK different carriers are separated in the next four digits a bit like an area code.

I must admit that sometimes I select an Name and the choice for an iPhone Number in the Contacts part of adding a name to the "To" field and it tells me it does not like the number.

Clicking and holding the red box at the pointed arrow end shows me the alternatives and I can uses the same number in an acceptable format.

Part of this is what is "registered" as the number with the iMessages server compared to other places

What people registered and what you have in your Contacts info may be the same but I would think the iMessages servers are expecting a minimum number of digits.

User uploaded file
9:02 PM Saturday; January 5, 2013

Please, if posting Logs, do not post any Log info after the line "Binary Images for iChat"

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Jan 5, 2013 5:05 PM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

So the bottom line, there's no solution? I still think the Messages.app should work like in iPhone and automatically recognize the contacts regardless of the country and region code.

This is frustating, I have to choose between not using the codes, making sending iMessages harder on Mac and not having the contacts linked or adding the codes and making calls a pain with the iPhone.

And my own picture is not being shown in Mac, even when add the codes. :-S

Jan 6, 2013 11:29 AM in response to fabio.solive

HI,

I can't see a way around you issue.

Pictures ?

IF you only use iMessages you many not have a Picture Set up.

The Pic in the Chat side of the Messages Window is the Buddy List.

If you have AIM Screen Name or Jabber IDs linked to iMessage Apple IDs and iPhone Numbers in the Card then you will see the Buddy Pic (from the AIM And Jabber accounts/Buddy lists)

The left hand pane will display the Contacts Address Card info

User uploaded file

As I am calling Myself (iPhone Number) I appears are the Sender and the Recipient as it syncs back to the Mac.

User uploaded file
7:28 PM Sunday; January 6, 2013

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

iMessage on Mac: country and region code?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.