Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there an issue with the new(2012-2013) 27" iMac using all bandwidth?

Hi, I just started up the new comp and my roommate began to complain about having no to little bandwidth.

I am using the Mac Airport Extreme with a strong internet connection. My Macbook Pro (2009 model) has no issues at all and we can have a wii system, as well as my roomie's desktop and my laptop streaming all at the same time with no lag in the connection. As soon as I went to download a file from the web with the new iMac all connections dropped.

I'm curious if anyone else is having these issues and what/if anything is being done to resolve it?

Thanks,

Ryn

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:24 PM

2 replies

Jan 3, 2013 10:42 PM in response to Ryn99

Hi Ryn, this has worked for a few...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712

10.7 & 10.8…

System Preferences>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

10.5.x/10.6.x/10.7.x instructions...

System Preferences>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

Instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click join other network. Fill in everything as needed.

For 10.5/10.6, System Preferences>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Click OK.

Jan 4, 2013 12:58 PM in response to BDAqua

Thanks for the speedy response BDAqua!

I'll give it a whirl tonight and see if it will resolve the issue. Let me see if I get it straight though, so I'm basically just creating a 'new location' and am then selecting the same service source (wifi in this instance) that the old 'automatic' location was using? If I have 10.8 it's just creating a new location and then selecting the same wifi source in the selection menu from the left (I believe it has an ethernet option, my wifi, and some bluetooth PAN) and that's it? or am I also inputting all the IP address and other connection info somewhere by making a new 'service' as well?

THanks again!

>Ryn

Is there an issue with the new(2012-2013) 27" iMac using all bandwidth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.