Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automatically changing footnote references?

I'm writing an essay with lots of footnotes etc.

Is there any way to refer to a footnote in a later footnote in a way that the reference changes automatically with the original footnote?

Let's say, footnote 28 is "Isaacson, Steve Jobs, p.287". Then I go on writing, and after 30 pages I want to write "see footnote 28". This will be correct as long as fn. 28 remains 28. But when I insert one or two footnotes above, 28 will turn to 29 or 30, and the reference "see fn. 28" will be wrong.

Is there any way to prevent this?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Peter

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:22 AM

2 replies

Jan 4, 2013 11:49 PM in response to Peter R.

What I do is place the cursor where I want to duplicate the footnote and add a superscript. Choose format>font>baseline>superscript (you can also customize the pages tool bar to add the super/sub script buttons by control clicking on the toolbar and choosing 'customize toolbar')

The problem with this is that in the document, the superscript is not linked to the footnote. While in the Pages document if you double click on a footnote in the text you will be taken to the bottom of the page to the footnote. But if you are just printing out the document this should not mater.

Automatically changing footnote references?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.