Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone5 over heating and battery draining fast

Iphone5 was over heating and draining fast so went into the apple store an they gave me a new one, an now the exact same thing is happening with this one, does anyone know why this is happening or a way to fix it?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.0.2

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:34 AM

10 replies

Jan 4, 2013 8:17 AM in response to geepee7

Navigation is the only app I use that noticeably heats the phone. Maps are the worst battery drainers and navigating from place to place will burn power rapidly. I use a car charger during navigation. Some apps have been worse than others - Groupon was bad at first, and Cyclemeter or MapMyRide (fitness apps) will drain the battery even when not active. Some apps are more efficient than others so I suggest experimenting to find which app is heating your CPU.

To close applications double click to launch the app switcher, press and hold any application until they all jiggle, then touch the red close button of the apps you don't want running.

I am getting very acceptable battery life from my new iPhone 5 running 6.0.2 - 2 days per charge minimum. The key (as it has been for a few years) is to close inactive applications that use location services. There is a short delay in opening these power hungry apps when you want them, but that is more than compensated for in not having to worry about running out of battery power.

Hope this helps!

Jan 19, 2013 8:06 AM in response to vascularnerd

Glad you are making progress - others are also starting to question the 3G radio. Service conditions matter because without a steady signal the phone will hunt for a connection. The good performance I get is in an environment with solid Wifi and solid LTE almost all of the time. On one charge I typically use the phone 6 hours in a 48 hour period and have 30% battery leftover.

Jan 19, 2013 12:18 PM in response to geepee7

i have come across the same issue here and idk if it was just me but 6.0.1 worked pretty good for me and even 6, 6.0.2 drains my batt.... i use Google maps all day (delivery driver here) and its just a pain in the *** to charge the phone all the time cuz of this glitch.... i swear that this is just an OS issue .... hope apple realizes about this and fix this now ..

A question, have any of you noticed that the iphone 5 when not in call its lte right, when getting a call it goes to 4G and it takes a while for it to get to lte after the phone call completes , has anyone noticed this as well ???

Feb 2, 2013 9:26 PM in response to geepee7

I had this problem even after a new phone, but solved with below:

After backing up your phone, Settings->General->Erase All Content and Settings.

Then set up as a new phone.

DO NOT RESTORE from backup as you may be bringing the problem that was causing the overheating back on your phone.

Slowly add your most favorite apps from the App Store, waiting a day or so to make sure your problem isn't caused by a bad app.

If this doesn't work, take your phone to the Genius' for a new battery/phone.

BEWARE. When you backup your phone, it isn't that easy to get to some of your important data like documents in your favorite programs or photos if you are not using photo stream so pull those out of iTunes.

Aug 6, 2014 9:33 PM in response to geepee7

Have it replaced immediately especially if it is under warranty. The U2 IC (power chip) is defective. If your iphone is no longer under warranty, it will cost you $100 to have it replaced. Normal battery life after full charged is 3 days so if your battery does not last for a day, your U2 IC is already defective.

Aug 11, 2014 2:31 PM in response to R23789

Wow! I did not know that getting a dud replacement was common. I'm on my second replacement and it has went bad within a week. My first replacement wouldn't get a cellular signal. Now my current replacement gets extremely hot when using disconnected from the charger. It also drains very rapidly. A reset does not fix the issue. I took it in to an Apple Store and apparently the "duds" they have been giving me inherit the warranty from my old phone. Ridiculous! Thanks Apple!

iphone5 over heating and battery draining fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.