Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with a video with a Motion and a "reverse" clip in it when authoring a dvd in DSP 4

Hi all,

as mentioned in the subject I have this problem that I really can't solve and I hope someone of you can help:

I edited a 2.5 mins video in FCP 7. The first part of it is a .motn clip because I put some titles in Motion and there's another short clip that simply plays in reverse.

I sent the project to Compressor, 6.2Mbps 2-pass, then I imported the .m2v and .ac3 files in DSP 4 to make a dvd.

In the simulator everything is fine but when I build the dvd, here comes the problem: if I check the dvd with VLC everything is ok, but if I try to read it with the Mac player or (after burning) with my dvd player on my tv screen, the segments of the video that were originally in Motion and in reverse are not played correctly. I don't know how to explain it exactly but the movement of the images is not fluid, people move jerkily... but only in those two parts of the video.

I tried a lot of things: I put compression markers, I used a lower bitrate, I exported the two "guilty" clips in prores 442 and then imported the .movs back in the project. Nothing seems to work.

I hope someone of you will be able to help me.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Maurizio

DVD Studio Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 6:01 AM

6 replies

Jan 5, 2013 8:22 AM in response to mermau

Looks like you've got a problem with field order. Not sure where it's happening but I guess somehwere in the motion setup. If I bring your file into fcp and drop it into a sequence and match sequence settings to clip settings and export a quicktime with current settings and bring that in to compressor and make an m2v and bring that into dvdsp and create a dvd, I see the problem.

But, if I adjust the clip in the timeline using the motion tab User uploaded fileand move the clip up 1 pixel vertically and follow the same workflow, it's fine. If this isn't clear, post back and I'll try and explain in more detail. Here in the US, with NTSC video, you usually see this problem when you're using 720x486 video and going to DVD which is 720x480. You need to crop 4 lines at the top and 2 on the bottom, or vice versa. If you crop 3 at the top and bottom, you force a reordering of the fields. Compressor does this automatically so many people aren't aware of this weirdness.

Jan 5, 2013 3:24 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Michael Grenadier wrote:

Looks like you've got a problem with field order. Not sure where it's happening but I guess somehwere in the motion setup. If I bring your file into fcp and drop it into a sequence and match sequence settings to clip settings and export a quicktime with current settings and bring that in to compressor and make an m2v and bring that into dvdsp and create a dvd, I see the problem.

That was exactly what I did.

Thank you so much, Michael.

If I use the Shift Fields Filter on the clip, as Jim (thank you!) suggested, it works fine too.

Anyway, I'd like to understand why this happens. I checked the Motion preferences and I used PAL DV for that clip, that has Lower Field Dominance, and the same settings (same field dominance) I used for my FCP project and in Compressor so I really don't know...

More, I discovered the problem with the reverse clip. Again, I don't know why but in that clip there was the Shift Fields filter set to +1, but I'm quite sure I did not put it there... I just removed it and now it works fine too...

m.

Problems with a video with a Motion and a "reverse" clip in it when authoring a dvd in DSP 4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.