Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do restore an MacBook Air (mid-2011) to factory settings?

I have a 13" MacBook Air, purchased 5/11. I want to restore it to its original condition. I tried re-installing the OS which worked, but it did not remove all of my files and software. Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:14 AM

5 replies

Mar 9, 2014 8:36 PM in response to ComputerFixer

ComputerFixer wrote:

If you just erase the drive but do not reinstall Lion and you cannot recover data from Macbook Air, then you will return the computer with a blank drive, not as if it were new.

However, the computer you are returning will only be resold as a refurbed unit, so Apple will install whatever software needs to be installed on it. You are not obliged to do that yourself unless you want to.

If you follow the drive prep procedure I provided all your data is essentially securely erased. That is what the one pass option does.

Restart and hold down the option key untill you see several drives appear. select the one called "Recovery"

How do restore an MacBook Air (mid-2011) to factory settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.