Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need to convert the voltage for my version 10.6.8 MacBook Pro in the UK?

I'm studying abroad and want to make sure I don't fry my laptop. I have an adapter and converter, just wasnt' sure what voltage it needed to be on or if I needed to use the converter part at all.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:52 AM

8 replies

Jan 4, 2013 1:25 PM in response to kaasnirole

These machines can handle 90v up to 250v I think that covers the whole world really. I know this first hand because I bought a macbook pro in the US and use it in the UK. I didn't need any voltage converters or step up step down transformers. The power from the wall goes into your transformer and the transformer sorts it all out. Like Bob said, you would only need the plug adaptor to make it fit into the wall in foreign sockets.

I don't use a plug adaptor, I simply cut the US plug off and wired up a British one, (after getting a wiring diagram) same three wires just different colours.

Jan 4, 2013 2:01 PM in response to sanjampet

sanjampet wrote:

Yes, you will need an adapter, or you will fry your MBP. Attached is a link for the UK power travel kit, don't leave home without it":)

Have a nice trip

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4341

All the best

That is complete BS, please check your facts.

To the OP ...

The voltage range for an MBP is 100-240v this covers every country in the world, no converter is ever needed.

Jan 4, 2013 2:29 PM in response to Csound1

You may po'd at me, but I've been to every continent except Antarctica, someone asks me about intercontinental travel, I would rather give them them the tools to help keep their stuff safe. Make sure you carry a multimeter and know how to use it, as I have encountered wiring that that is less than sub-standard. I do not get paid for this, nor do I take it for granted, as I've seen peoples electronics go up in smoke. Let me tell you putting that magic smoke back in is usually VERY expensive in a foreign country. Just trying to help keep you safe . If you don't care for it I am sorry. Have a good trip, and be safe.

Do I need to convert the voltage for my version 10.6.8 MacBook Pro in the UK?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.