Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to preset Loops?

I will be working with many songs that I will be taking parts of the songs to use as Loops. My first batch will be;

Genre: Rock/Blues

Instrument Description: Vocals

Is there a way when I select “Add to Loop library” from the Edit menu that it opens with both “Rock/Blues” and “Vocals” pre selected? Rock/Blues will be 90% of what I’m adding and I select “Vocals” so that the Loops I’m adding are not included in the Loops provided by GarageBand. So I can go to one place where all of the Loops I've added are located...

Any help would be appreciated,

Harry

GarageBand (Mac) '11, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 9:08 AM

5 replies

Jan 4, 2013 12:41 PM in response to Foodsman

Is there a way when I select “Add to Loop library” from the Edit menu that it opens with both “Rock/Blues” and “Vocals” pre selected?

Harry, I do not know of a way, but your own loops will anyway not be included with GarageBands loops.

They are installed in a separate part of the library, in the User Library,

~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops

You can filter the Loop Browser to show only your loops; simply set the pop-up menu at the top of the Loop Browser to "My Loops" and the Loop Browser will only show your loops.

Regards

Léonie

User uploaded file

Jan 4, 2013 1:37 PM in response to Foodsman

Hi Léonie,

That does work but I still need to enter Rock/Blues and Vocals through the Add to Loop Library from the menu. After I select "My Loops" I still have to select vocals to bring up my loops. Oh well, it is what it is.

One other question if you don't mind. When you select Loop Library from the menu the first field is "Name" and you can enter up to 27 characters. Is there a way to increase the number of characters?

Thanks a lot,

Harry

Jan 4, 2013 2:09 PM in response to Foodsman

I tried everything, but found no way to make GarageBand accept longer names in this field. The textfield is as long as the column in the Loop Browser permits.

But if you insist, you can make the names of the loops longer by renaming them in the Finder. Only you will not be able to see the longer names, because the columns cannot be made much wider, see:

User uploaded file

Most of the name will only be visible, if you hover with the mouse above the name.

Renaming using the Finder is error prone - do it only, if you absolutely must.

I did the following:

• Copy the loop I want to rename from ~/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/User Loops to the Desktop.
  • Rename the loop in the Finder.
  • Delete it from the Loop Browser (simply select it and press delete -thanks, HangTime for pointing this out!).
  • Drop the renamed loop onto the Loop browser to reindex it.

You will notice that the name of the loop begins with "_". I started recently to name all my custom loops with a leading "_" in the name and my initials as part of the name. This way they will always be shown first in the Loop Browser, and when I want to find them quickly, I simply type "_" or my initials into the loop browser.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 4, 2013 2:48 PM in response to Foodsman

Hello again Léonie,

I've learned a long time ago with software "don't try to make it work like its not intended"!

How about a question about this web site. Every time I come to the site I have to sign in to make a post. Is there a way, when using the same computer, to have the login info saved so login would not be necessary every time?

Thanks again,

Harry

Jan 4, 2013 3:03 PM in response to Foodsman

Harry,

"don't try to make it work like its not intended"!

exactly! 🙂

What Browser are you using?

Safari and Firefox will save your id and the password, so that you simply have to click the "Sign in" button.

Also the ASC system should let you stay logged in, as long as you keep a window to this site open - unfortunately, this is a bit buggy right now, so we are frequently logged out.

There is an own forum for questions concerning the use of these support communities. You may wish to have a look at this site: Using Apple Support Communities

Regards

Léonie

Is there a way to preset Loops?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.