Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if a printer is compatible with my Mac before I order it?

Hello, I need to buy a new printer but when shopping how can I tell if its compatible with my new MacBook Pro? This is my first Mac computer so please accept my apologies for my ignorance. At least I have finally bought a Mac.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 8:52 AM

Read the specifications for the printer - usually they're printed on the box and will list Mac OS X (and the specific versions) if it's supported - or ask the dealer or printer manufacturer. They should be able to tell you if the printer is compatible with your Mac. Apple also has a list of printers for which they include drivers in Mac OS X here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

though that list may not be completely current nor all-inclusive of every printer for which there are drivers.

If there's a particular model of printer that you're considering, you can also do a web search or post the printer model here and ask for opinions.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2013 8:52 AM in response to koy59agi

Read the specifications for the printer - usually they're printed on the box and will list Mac OS X (and the specific versions) if it's supported - or ask the dealer or printer manufacturer. They should be able to tell you if the printer is compatible with your Mac. Apple also has a list of printers for which they include drivers in Mac OS X here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669

though that list may not be completely current nor all-inclusive of every printer for which there are drivers.

If there's a particular model of printer that you're considering, you can also do a web search or post the printer model here and ask for opinions.

Regards.

Message was edited by: varjak paw

How can I tell if a printer is compatible with my Mac before I order it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.