Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to remove MIDI prog changes in Garageband

Hello all,

I downloaded a MIDI file & dragged it into Garageband '11 (6.0.5). While trying to set my own instruments, I see that there are MIDI program changes in the file that I can't "see", but it keeps changing the instruments on me.

Does anyone know of a way to strip these out?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8), 2.8Ghz i7, 8G RAM, 500G 7200RPM HD

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:09 AM

2 replies

Jan 5, 2013 2:08 AM in response to Richard Taylor1

There may be different ways to do things ... a friend brought over a Midi File ( a tune with multi trks ) that he downloaded and needed help with. We could change the instruments as we wanted to , but the volume was set and couldn't be changed .... at least my me inna' hurry. Here's what I did.

I made a NEW trk for every instrument. A totally new blank track .... Then I copied each of the orginal trks to it's new trk. Put in the instrument I wanted to use on the new trk. After that I could control volume & pan as I wanted.

Then I deleted the orginal trks and saved what I had done.

So give this a try on just one track to see if it helps/works. Make a new track .... then copy one the others into that track .. you're coping the midi note info only. Then put the instrument want on that track and see if it works.

Peace

Apr 29, 2016 6:47 AM in response to Richard Taylor1

Open the "Editors" control panel (using the little Scissors icon near the top left of the screen). On the top left of the Editors panel you'll see the "Catch Playhead" icon, which is probably already highlighted blue. Next to it is an icon that looks like several sliders, which is likely not highlighted. This is the "MIDI Draw" icon. Click it to highlight it. Now you should have a new panel in the bottom left with "Controllers." These contain automation information in the MIDI file that is wholly separate from the track automation and will migrate with the MIDI file even if you copy it to a new track. Scroll through them until you find the offending automation points and delete them.

Hope that helps!

User uploaded file

How to remove MIDI prog changes in Garageband

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.