Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade which first - Aperture or OS X?

I'm going to upgrade Aperture from 3.2.4 to the latest available 3.4.x, and I'm going to upgrade the OS from 10.7.5 to the latest 10.8.x. Which should I do first?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Aperture 3.2.4

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 11:52 AM

Aperture 3.4.3 works well with both MacOS X 10.7.5 and 10.8.2. But since some new Aperture features require 10.8.2, like shared Photo streams, I'd upgrade the OS first.

Some precautions:

• The upgrade from 3.2.4 has been problematic for some posters, if the Aperture library has corruptions. It is a major update, that will convert the Aperture library to another format. So there will be no way back. Repair and rebuild the Aperture library, while you are still using 3.2.4. (Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual). This can take a long time for a large library - do it over night.
  • Update all other software to the latest versions, before updating the system.
  • Check your plug-ins for compatibility with MacOS X 10.8.2. Aperture 3.4 and later: Some third-party plug-ins are no longer compatible
  • Best make a backup of your system before upgrading, I'd recommend a bootable clone. This will be the only way to be able to revert to your current setup.

Regards

Léonie

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 4, 2013 11:52 AM in response to David Hawkins

Aperture 3.4.3 works well with both MacOS X 10.7.5 and 10.8.2. But since some new Aperture features require 10.8.2, like shared Photo streams, I'd upgrade the OS first.

Some precautions:

• The upgrade from 3.2.4 has been problematic for some posters, if the Aperture library has corruptions. It is a major update, that will convert the Aperture library to another format. So there will be no way back. Repair and rebuild the Aperture library, while you are still using 3.2.4. (Repairing and Rebuilding Your Aperture Library: Aperture 3 User Manual). This can take a long time for a large library - do it over night.
  • Update all other software to the latest versions, before updating the system.
  • Check your plug-ins for compatibility with MacOS X 10.8.2. Aperture 3.4 and later: Some third-party plug-ins are no longer compatible
  • Best make a backup of your system before upgrading, I'd recommend a bootable clone. This will be the only way to be able to revert to your current setup.

Regards

Léonie

Jan 4, 2013 1:10 PM in response to David Hawkins

Do it at the same time that you are upgrading Aperture. With Aperture 3.3.x and later you have a unified Aperture-iPhoto Library, as you probably know; but for this to work, the Aperture and iPhoto versions should match. To use iPhoto 9.4.2 libraries with Aperture you need Aperture 3.4.3.

Just in case you have not seen these:

Aperture 3.3: Using a unified photo library with iPhoto and Aperture

Aperture 3.3: How to use Aperture to merge iPhoto libraries

Regards

Léonie

Upgrade which first - Aperture or OS X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.