Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ARD and VNC sessions

I have ARD installed on a 10.8 mac mini server in my server closet. the easiest way (ive found) to manage this is via VNC. ie, i VNC from my laptop to the server running ARD.

I dont have ARD installed on my machine as we only have the one license, and the way i understood the licensing i believe is i can either a) install it on multiple computers if im the only one using it, or b) install it on one computer with multiple people using it. we are in the (B) category. have it installed on 1 server, but 3 or 4 people access it via VNC to push updates and such out.

the problem we have, is if someone is connected and has ARD open (or closes their connection and leaves ARD open), VNC wont connect with an error that the management application is open.

Connecting from 10.8.2 macbook pros, using Chicken of the VNC for our VNC client.

Is there a better way to go about this, or is there a way to bypass this check? or to reset it remotely with ssh?

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 10:59 AM

4 replies

Jan 7, 2013 7:44 AM in response to Templeton Peck

Well, with licensing requirements, unless i bought more copies of ARD (which isnt an option at this time),

i do need it installed on the server.

As per the apple license, commercial use, i can install it on as many computers as i want, if im the only one using it. or install it on one computer and multiple people can use it.

We have one license currently, and thats all we have, so we have it installed on the server so multiple people (the IT team) can access it and use it.

ARD and VNC sessions

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.