Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CoreMediaIO DAL Plug-In Sample

Has anyone had any success getting the CoreMediaIO DAL plug-in sample camera driver to work on 10.7.4?

I have the following results:

1. Installed the prebuilt "Debug" components.

2. Photo Booth opens normally and Console shows that the DAL plug-in was loaded and is working correctly.

3. iMovie '11 opens normally, but no longer can detect the built-in FaceTime camera or the camera exposed by the DAL plug-in.

4. Quartz Composer sees only the Built-In camera.

5. Flash Media Live Encoder sees only the built-in camera and older VDIG components.

I'll take any tips here: if I can find one client application that can access the sample DAL driver I should be good to go. Help me Obi-wan, you're my only hope.

REFERENCED:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/CoreMediaIO/Introduction/Intr o.html

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 12:27 PM

11 replies

Apr 4, 2017 5:44 AM in response to Miss.Hollywood

Hello!

I'm trying to run the plugin. I did:

1. Downloaded the source from https://developer.apple.com/library/content/samplecode/CoreMediaIO/Introduction/ Intro.html .
  2. Performed in Terminal:
    xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Sample-Debug.tar.gz
  3. Installed data from Prebuilts :
    sudo darwinup install {path to CoreMediaIO folder}/Prebuilts/Sample-Debug.tar.gz
  4. Fixed errors of the project and compiled. I got the result Sample.plugin, com.apple.cmio.DPA.Sample.plist and IOVideoSample.kext
  5. I moved the data by the result paths.
  6. Updated the kext's permissions:

sudo chmod -R 755 IOVideoSample.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel IOVideoSample.kext

7. http://apple.stackexchange.com/a/269777instead
    sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"
  8. Rebooted the system.

But I can't access to DAL-plugin with Skype Version 7.46 (56758). Please could you help me?

I have MacOS Sierra 10.12.4 (16E195)

Jan 5, 2013 8:34 PM in response to Miss.Hollywood

I believe I have answered my own question inadvertently while randomly looking at sample code:

http://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#samplecode/AVRecorder/Introduction/Intro .html

AVRecorder which utilizes the new AVFoundation apis for recording video (rather than QTKit) appears to properly recognize the CoreMediaIO DAL sample camera.

Thanks Apple!

Jan 14, 2013 4:14 AM in response to Miss.Hollywood

I set the quarantine bit with this commands,

In Terminal:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Sample-Debug.tar.gz

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine Sample-Release.tar.gz

but I still can't access DAL plugin-is with any client application, even with AVRecorder. I work with Mac OS 10.8.2, could this be a problem? Can you access DAL plug-in now?

Thanks for your support.

Jan 14, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Miss.Hollywood

Just discovered: after fixing the permissions on the Prebuilt components, Photo Booth (10.7.5) now recognizes the Sample DAL driver.

However, PhotoBooth may only open the Sample DAL driver if the USB bus has too much traffic to open the Built-in iSight. I achieved this by plugging in two small Logitech USB cameras and opening them both in CamCamX. For some reason AVRecorder will not open both Logitech cameras at the same time.

Jan 16, 2013 9:19 AM in response to Miss.Hollywood

I did the following steps:

• I downloaded the example;
  • I set quarantine bit for Sample-Debug and Sample-Release archives;
  • I installed Sample-Debug.tar.gz with the command sudo darwinup install {path to CoreMediaIO folder}/Prebuilts/Sample-Debug.tar.gz;
  • I fixed the kext's permissions with commands

sudo chmod -R 755 name.kext

sudo chown -R root:wheel name.kext

I rebooted the system.

Did I forget some steps? I tried with Skype 6.0.59.2968, AVRecorder, IMovie, PhotoBoot but I can't access the DAL-Plugin :'(

Jan 27, 2013 8:18 AM in response to GioCo86

I discovered that, after I installed DAL-plugin, I can access it only if I started AVRecorder and select DAL-Plugin as an input device. After i did this, I can access it with Skype or PhotoBoot, too.

But, after a reboot, the system starts only after 3-4 attempts and I can not access the plugin, even with AVRecorder.

Do you have any idea what could be the solution to these problems?

Thanks!

Sep 3, 2015 12:49 AM in response to Miss.Hollywood

Something that is missing from this discussion is Kext Signing.

Apparently Kext files need to be signed..

You can get around this by enabling kext dev mode

You may want to see if you have any values in the boot-args before you change it, you can figure that out with the following command

nvram boot-args

Changing it is as simple as

sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

If you want to disable this setting later you can issue this command

sudo nvram -d boot-args

or alternatively you can apply the settings that were there before.

Additionally, you will need to get permission from apple to sign kext files.

Standard code signing is not sufficient.

Hope that helps the next poor soul.

OS X 10.10.5

CoreMediaIO DAL Plug-In Sample

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.