Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to update my macbook pro?

I have a MacBook Pro laptop, from 2007. Running OS 10.4.11. 2.33 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Memory 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (just copying that stuf, not sure if it's all important or not!) The software is so outdated, I can't get updates anymore, and my iPhone 3GS (I know, I know) can't even get my music from my computer. I would like to update my computer as much as possible, and I don't want to mess anything up.

My husband bought me a 1 TB external drive to back everything up before I do any updates. I think I need to get Tiger, then I can go to Lion, is that right? I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Any advice would be most welcome!

Thanks,

Jenny

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:14 PM

4 replies

Jan 4, 2013 3:22 PM in response to Jburnett8

Update from tiger. then Leopard,Snowleopard, then eitherlion or MTN Lion. You can probably skip some of these, but I'm not an Apple tech, merely a user. I have gone this route I've taken, each new OS at a time. I know you can go from SL to MTN Lion, but since your OS is so old you might want to get used to each new one. I'm just a user, not a tech, so, I'm sure there are folks that are more informed on this site that can offer more info. All the best

Jan 4, 2013 3:30 PM in response to Jburnett8

You should be able to run Lion, I think the simplest way to get there would be to purchase Snow Leopard (10.6.x) from the Apple Online Store, install it and then update it to version 10.6.8 (using software update). Then you will be able to access the Mac App Store and buy Lion (10.7.5 currently).

I would recomend that you increase the Ram in your Mac to the maximum possible (4Gbytes, possibly 6Gbytes, check with OWC)

Jan 4, 2013 3:33 PM in response to Jburnett8

Leopard is $200 at some sites.

Skip straight to SL first ($20 by calling 1-800-676-2775) which requires Intel processor and 1 GB RAM.

SL 10.6.8 will allow downloading Lion, which requires Core2Duo and 2 GB RAM, though many advise more RAM than 2 GB to run well.

But, in my opinion, you seem to care more about the iPhone connection than being at the latest. You could stop at SL, at least for a little while to settle down for a short break. Besides, Lion/ML do not run many applications you may rely on.

As to installing SL from Tiger, you have another possible challenge. Some report that "old and used" Tiger installs do not successfully update to SL. Something about "too many changes too fast". They need to clear the main partition and do a "new install" of SL and use Migration assistant to copy user-settings.

As to backups before ... I prefer a clone, which is bootable. That way if the SL install fails, you just boot from your backup and start over.

Read this for backup information first: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3045

Jan 4, 2013 3:54 PM in response to Jburnett8

Based on what I can determine, your MBP is a 15" Core 2 Duo which can accept a Maximum of 3GB RAM. In light of that I suggest just installing Snow Leopard and abandoning thoughts of Lion/Mt. Lion.

I have Snow Leopard on my 2006 MBP and my 2010 MBP (which can run Mt Lion) and both work just fine. Snow Leopard is still the most efficient OS from Apple. Newer in this situation is not necessarily better.

The Lions work best with adequate RAM and your MBP will be very marginal at best. From a utilitarian standpoint, one gains very little from the Lion OS's ( my opinion).

Ciao

How to update my macbook pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.