Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Headphone jack not working on brand new late 2012 27" iMac

Just purchased the new late 2012 27" iMac. Have tried 3 pairs of headphones, all work with my iPhone but when plugged into back of iMac, they do not show up in Sound>Output as an option. Only internal speakers and Apple TV.

I have pushed...hard. Not the issue.

Tired changing Audio Midi settings to 32-bit floating. Didn't do anything...

Any thoughts?

Thx

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 7:59 PM

15 replies

Jun 11, 2013 7:17 PM in response to Kreeger

What you did at last?

This is happening to me and I'm very disappointed and frustrated!

Is the first time I tried to use a headphones and the stupid machine doesn't work!

I already reseted PRAM and SMC also updated OS to 10.8.4

Is a HW problem?

Do I have to go to the store and lost ALL the time I already invested in SW install and file moving from my old laptop?

By the way I can see the light when I unplug the heardphones.

Before some help desk robot asks, YES, I tried 3 pair of phones ALL of them work well in my Vostro 3550, Samsung S3 and in my Nexus 7.

Some light here please!

Aug 29, 2013 9:18 AM in response to Kreeger

This problem seems fairly widespread and ongoing. I found a version of this very discussion from 2010/2011. It offered the same fixes (PRAM/SMC/MIDI settings) and the same results. In those cases, the problem seemed to crop up after installing Lion. Mountain Lion suffers as well.

If this is really a hardware problem - and that's what they'll tell you at the Genius Bar - it seems weird that it affects lots of different machines from different eras. My machine is an iMac 24-in from mid-2007 and it is behaving identically to Kreeger's brand new one.

I actually need to produce music again on this machine and the lack of external audio output is a serious problem for me. Apple's response to this issue over some years' time might be the last straw for a 25-year user.

Aug 29, 2013 9:31 AM in response to speck22

Oh, yay! My machine is now "vintage", so I can't even get factory repairs. I'd make the obligatory "you've lost a customer (and his wife and 5 kids)" statement, but I'm sure this global monstrosity couldn't care less.

A quarter century and through your darkest days...longer than most of your 'geniuses' have been alive.

Apple, you are the new Microsoft.

Mar 16, 2014 10:46 PM in response to Mark9007

Mark9007 you are hereby promoted to Mark9008 flashing the mute button worked immediately, I cannot believe all the threads and the various fixes, you sir are the winner.

I am deeply indebted to you, it is important that you get the word out as there appears to be a lot of sufferers out there, I was convinced it was not hardware and sure enough it wasn't just a simple tap on the mute button and I am now back in headphone heaven.

Nov 9, 2014 4:59 PM in response to Kreeger

I have a late model 2012 27" iMac. I am now running OS X 10.10, no problems. Then same problem; the headphone jack stopped working. Sound "always" comes from speakers. "Headphones" does not appear as an option in the sound control panel.

Here's a fix that worked for me, consistently:

1) Unplug headphones.

2) Put the iMac to "sleep".

3) Plug in your headphones.

4) Wake the iMac up.

Now you'll see "headphones" REPLACE "internal speakers" as an option in the sound control panel. And the headphones work. Enjoy!

Headphone jack not working on brand new late 2012 27" iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.