Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error Messgage: Aperture library needs to be upgraded had blocked me from opening new iPhoto

I migrated my user info from old to new MacBook Pro, opened new iPhoto, accidentally clicked yes to "open photos in Aperture" (no Aperture on old mac) - now I can't open iPhoto bc error message is forcing me to buy Aperture. Can't find a way to backtrack back to my new computer's iPhoto application. Error message: To open this Aperture library in iPhoto, you need Aperture 3.3 or later. Click Update Aperture to buy the latest version of Aperture from the Mac App Store. After installing the update, open your library in Aperture to upgrade it. I have found it impossible to get back to iPhoto.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 6:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:31 AM

I am not sure abaout the exact situation on your macs:

• What versions of iPhoto and Aperture (if any) do you have on each of your macs?
  • What is the program you used to create the library, and what was the last program to open and to update it? Could you open it on your new mac in any way?

What does do you see, when you show the "Info" panel for your library on the new mac and compare it to the info panale on your old mac (select the library in the Finder and use "File > Get Info" or ⌘I?

Is it shown as Kind=Aperture Library or Kind=Photo Library? Is the file extension ":aplibrary" or ".photolibrary"?

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2013 12:31 AM in response to jenmooney

I am not sure abaout the exact situation on your macs:

• What versions of iPhoto and Aperture (if any) do you have on each of your macs?
  • What is the program you used to create the library, and what was the last program to open and to update it? Could you open it on your new mac in any way?

What does do you see, when you show the "Info" panel for your library on the new mac and compare it to the info panale on your old mac (select the library in the Finder and use "File > Get Info" or ⌘I?

Is it shown as Kind=Aperture Library or Kind=Photo Library? Is the file extension ":aplibrary" or ".photolibrary"?

User uploaded file

Regards

Léonie

Jan 6, 2013 4:26 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie thanks so much for reaching out to me.

All of my photos were stored in iPhoto 6 version 6.0.6. I never had Aperture. My new MacBook Pro is brand new and has all updated software. The new Mac currently has two users/admins (me) from the starting-up process. When I switch to other Me user (with no migrated user info from the old mac) iPhoto can be opened no problem.

I can't open ANYTHING in iPhoto because the error message won't let me. eek!User uploaded file

Jan 6, 2013 5:05 AM in response to jenmooney

It looks like iPhoto mistakenly assumes that your iPhoto 6 library is an Aperture library.

Try two things:

• To get iPhoto to open at all hold down the alt/options⌥ key while you are double clicking the iPhoto icon in the Dock. This should let you create a new, empty iPhoto library? Doas that work?
  • You could try to rebuild your iPhoto library to make it recognizable as iPhoto library again:

Hold down the key combination⌥⌘, while you double click your iPhoto library, then select "Rebuild database" from the first aid panel, if it is available.

Post back, after you have tried this. Unfortunately, I do remember much about iPhoto 6, so I do not can say for sure, how you could fix the library manually.

It might be worth a try, to do the repair/rebuild with the iPhoto version on your old mac an then to transfer the library again to your new mac.

Error Messgage: Aperture library needs to be upgraded had blocked me from opening new iPhoto

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.