Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is anyone else experiencing frequent blackout problems on an external monitor in Mountain Lion?

Is anyone else experiencing frequent blackout problems on an external monitor in Mountain Lion? I called Apple Support and got a temporary fix by removing preferences, but frequent --several second-- blackouts are back. Will an HDMI cable alleviate this?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:39 AM

2 replies

Mar 17, 2014 12:40 PM in response to justinhays

I have been experiencing this, but with Lion, not Mountain Lion. It is driving me nuts!

I am using LG L246WP monitor via HDMI to DVI on MacPro1,1. I have tried changing cables, even tried VGA to DVI (no blackouts with VGA, but not sure I can trust that, because there is no set pattern of when it will blackout!).

I did try another monitor for most of a day - no blackouts/flickers, and as soon as I hooked up my original monitor, I got blackouts, which led me to believe it is the monitor.

I have searched and read several forums on blackouts, each with different configurations, so at this point I am not sure what it is. I even replaced my Graphics/Video card, because someone on Apple forum said most likely that was the culprit, but still having same problem (even as I type this!).

It is like something is intermittently interfering with signal???

Is anyone else experiencing frequent blackout problems on an external monitor in Mountain Lion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.