Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error while relocating ("filename" couldn't be moved to "Folder".) "(null)"

I am trying to relocate all my referenced files from my HD to a NAS.

For a number of images I get the error :

I have been checking the Aperture Log and found things like:

Jan 5 22:03:37 big-mac.fritz.box Aperture[730]: could not set attributes com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate on destination file descriptor: Invalid argument: Invalid argument

Jan 5 22:03:37 big-mac kernel[0]: Aperture[730] Unable to quarantine `/Volumes/imacjan/Pictures/Aperture_Ref_Files/Fotoos_Jan/2012/2012 Diversen/evelien.jpg': 22 (error suppressed)

Jan 5 22:03:37 big-mac.fritz.box Aperture[730]: could not set attributes com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms on destination file descriptor: Invalid argument: Invalid argument

Jan 5 22:03:37 big-mac.fritz.box Aperture[730]: error processing extended attributes: Invalid argument

From here I dived into the xattr "thing".

Apparently Mac OSX is setting extra attributes on files, besided the normal UNIX attributes.

So I opened a Terminal session and gave the command:

xattr /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced\ Files/Fotoos\ Jan/2012/2012\ Diversen/eve*.*

which resulted in:

com.apple.FinderInfo

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms

Then I did my normal :

ls -l /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced\ Files/Fotoos\ Jan/2012/2012\ Diversen/eve*.*

which resulted in :

-rw-r--r--@ 1 imacjan staff 39963 Dec 25 2011 /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced Files/Fotoos Jan/2012/2012 Diversen/evelien.jpg

Looked quite normal to me, accept for the "@". Apperently thay is the sign that there are extended attributes

So then I gave:

ls -l -@ /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced\ Files/Fotoos\ Jan/2012/2012\ Diversen/eve*.*

Which resulted in:

-rw-r--r--@ 1 imacjan staff 39963 Dec 25 2011 /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced Files/Fotoos Jan/2012/2012 Diversen/evelien.jpg

com.apple.FinderInfo 32

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate 53

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms 156

Quetion 1 : does anybody know where I can find what value 32 for com.apple.FinderInfo means ? And for the other extra attributes?

Next, I suspected the values of the extra attributes were preventing Aperture from relocating the imagel.

So I proceeded with :

xattr -c /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced\ Files/Fotoos\ Jan/2012/2012\ Diversen/eve*.*

I went back to Aperture and now the relocating went fine.

It seems that all the images that my Aperture cannot relocate, are images that I downloaded from internet (sometimes nicked from a Facebook page, sometimes otherwise) and then imported into Aperture.

I can manipulate them, I can export a version, I just cannot export the original file and thus I cannot reloctate them either.

Question 2 : Is this normal behavior, or is this a bug in Aperture and should I file a bugreport?

Question 3 : Is it save for me to use the "attr -c" command to clear all extra attributes?

Thanks in advance

Jan

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 1:52 PM

8 replies

Jan 5, 2013 2:40 PM in response to Jan Wessel

How are you relocating the masters? What is the format of the drive they are on and what is the format of the destination.

Quetion 1 : does anybody know where I can find what value 32 for com.apple.FinderInfo means ? And for the other extra attributes?

You have it backwards the 32 means the attribute is com.Apple.FinderInfo

I just cannot export the original file

I thought you were trying to relocate them?

So I proceeded with :

xattr -c /Users/imacjan/Pictures/Referenced\ Files/Fotoos\ Jan/2012/2012\ Diversen/eve*.*

I went back to Aperture and now the relocating went fine.

So you are able to do what you started out to do then?

You could report this to Apple, I doubt it is a bug just some weird interaction with your NAS.

regards

Jan 5, 2013 11:07 PM in response to Frank Caggiano

Hi Frank,

Thanks.

My HD is a "normal" HD, so I guess it's HFS+. (According to Disk Utility it is Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

The NAS is WD MyBook Live Duo. I just plugged into my Time Machine.

I am relocating using Aperture "relocate originals for project" under the File tab.

Ahh, thanks for the answer to question 1.

Yes, I am trying to relocate them, but tried different things to find the problem.

And the problem seems to be that when an image gets an extra attribute (when it's downloaded from the internet, when it is comes from a mail message) then Aperture seems not to be able to move the file.

I.e. Aperture presumeably asks the Finder or kernel to perform this task, and this then fails because of the extra attirbutes that were set.

I now found a way of manually removing the extra attributes, but that is a pain.

Think of this normal workflow:

- someone sends me an email containing images

- I move the images to my Desktop

- I then import the images into Aperture

- I then decide to relocate my images for that project to my NAS

Then is when this problem occurs.

So I just tried to relocate to another place on my HD.

That works fine.

I looked again at the error message.

And it says "could not set attributes com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate on destination file descriptor" .

So, yes, it seems like it has to do with the NAS not supporting setting the extra attributes.

And as long as there are no extra attributes on an image, there is no problem.

(Not completely true, but I have another thread about that)

Thanks Frank, I have to digest this a bit.

Regards

Jan

Jan 6, 2013 6:52 AM in response to Jan Wessel

I have been playing with this some more.

The problem occurs when I try to relocate to my NAS using Aperture.

However, when I relocate to my HD into a temporary folder, no error.

If I then use Finder to copy it to a temporary folder on my NAS, no error.

If I then open Aperture, import the just copied image, and tell Aperture to store it on a different place on my NAS, no error.

So Aperture seems to use a different way then the Finder to copy/move a file to the NAS.

Apperently the Finder understands that when I am copying a file to the NAS, I don't care about extra attributes and just discards them, where Aperture does not.

Peculiar?

Jan

Jan 6, 2013 9:21 AM in response to Jan Wessel

I have an Airport Extreme with a drive attached to it. As I test I first downloaded an image from the web, which when looked at by ls showed the attributes :

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemDownloadedDate

com.apple.metadata:kMDItemWhereFroms

com.apple.quarantine

I imported these into Aperture and then relocated them to the NAS drive. I had no problems and if I go to the NAS folder with the relocated images and do an ls on them the extended attributes are set on them.

So the problem you are seeing is really more of a WD NAS problem then anything that Aperture or OS X is doing wrong. And while this doesn;t directly help your situation it does point out that it is unlikely that Apple will look at this as a bug.

You might want to see if WD has posted anything about this of if there is anyway to make the NAS aware of extended attributes.

good luck

regards

Jan 10, 2013 6:32 AM in response to Jan Wessel

I filed a request for assitance regarding this issue with WD.

This is the reply that I received today:

We have read your request thoroughly.

Unfortunately, the following option is not supported by device’s Firmware. Technical Support team does not have information from Development team, what they are working on. Thus, we cannot tell you, what will be new/fixed in next Firmware version and will the specific option be added there.

Please, check from time to time for new Firmware version (also see Release Notes) on Western Digital website: http://www.wd.com/.

I hope this information resolves your issue if the issue is not resolved and you require further assistance, please reply.

So they acknowledge the problem, just don't know if and when it will be solved.

Not sure how to continue from here, though.

I alreayd loaded all my files onto the NAS.

Just to have use Finder instead of Aperture if I have images with these extra attributes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.