Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI connection does not support HDCP Samsung TV

Tried SKY HDMI cable

tried sony ps3 hdmi cable

tried belkin hdmi cable

tried switching ends of cables and each hdmi port on tv

CAN someone please help

AppleTV 2

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 2:55 PM

15 replies

Jun 1, 2013 11:45 AM in response to karenmiley

Hi,

I'd been using an ATV2 connected using a cheap 2m HDMI cable, to Port 2 on a cheap 1080P 5 port HDMI Switch, over a cheap 20m cable to a Samsung 8000 LED TV (not so cheap). All working perfectly at 720P. Lets call this my 'Ideal' setup.

However, when I swapped with an ATV3 using 1080p, the signal goes fuzzy then flashes green every few seconds.

So here were the steps I took to solve it.

1) ATV3 at 720P = Works (But why not just use the ATV2)

2) ATV3 at 1080P using 'Ideal' with my best HDMI lead between the ATV3 and Switch = Signal losses were longer apart.

3) ATV3 at 1080P direct over 20m HDMI = Works

Ok this is interesting, suggests a signal, power or noise issue.

4) ATV3 at 1080p using 'Ideal' but just swapped port on Switch from 2 to 3. Port 3 Had been used for a PS3. = Works!

What?! So beware, HDMI Switches ports are not all equal (well in my case anyway).

What did I not do?

1) Moan that the ATV3 is faulty and go back to an ATV2.

2) Moan that its incompatible with my setup / equipment and buy new.

3) Moan about cheap HDMI leads and get conned into the expensive ones.

So my advice, using the equipment you have and your logic, go through the elimination process until you eliminate all possible possibilities and only the working solutions remain.

Elementary!

Aug 18, 2013 8:27 PM in response to bladerunnertm

Was having the same problem with my Samsung 6000 series LCD. Apple TV worked fine, updated it and then all of a sudden it didn't work--got rid of my cable provider and signed up for Comcast. Thought that was the problem. Have 4 HDMI inputs. Cable was hooked up to HDMI 3 named Cable STB. Anyway I had checked all the posts re: this issue, had tried the apple TV on another TV a Sony HD (it worked fine). Bought another Apple TV just to check -- same result. So I read bladerunertm post and said ok, I gotta figure this out. Here's the deal--and I have no idea how this happened or why the TV is acting like this. None of the other 3 HDMI inputs give a signal (1, 2 or 4)--but when I took out the Cable TV HDMI input from 3 and put in the ATV HDMI cable-voila! it worked! I then tried to put the cable TV HDMI cable into 1, 2 or 4 and again nothing. So I guess the upside is my ATV works again downside is I only have one HDMI input for the time being and I'm just going to switch them out when I need to use ATV. Not ideal, but at least I'm back in action. Thanks bladerunnertm for making me get back to basics!

HDMI connection does not support HDCP Samsung TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.