Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canon Vixia HF M40 to FCE 4.0.1?

Hello forums,

I'm looking to purchase a high-quality camcorder for my amateur videowork that I do. I need multiple cameras for multiple angles, and because of limited funds, I can't afford a high-end professional camera.

The camera that my research seemed to point to was the Canon Vixia HF M40. However, I've heard of problems with AVCHD, the M40, and Final Cut Express. I was wanting to ensure that if I buy the M40, will I be able to use the footage on FCE? The last thing I need is to buy this camera and have it be in an unsupported format.

I am currently running 10.8.2, the latest Mountain Lion version. I know there's something about an MPEG format? But I know very little about this, or the effect it may have on quality of the footage.

Any advice on this would be welcomed, because I'm needing to make the purchase soon. Thanks in advance!

- Justin

Also, on a side note, if you know how high-quality footage is rendered on a Mac, will I have problems editing on my current setup? I'm using a 2007 iMac with a Intel Core Duo 2GHz processor. Thanks again!

iMac (20-inch Mid 2007), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Intel Core 2 Duo Processor

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:57 PM

First thing to address is FCE and Mountain Lion.

In short these two are not supported by Apple working together.

Users have varying results from mostly working to not working or even installing.

FCP X is the supported app for Montain Lion. Ask there for more info if you wish to consider that option.

Regards the camera working with FCE:

This camera shoots a bunch of video sizes and frame rates.

I notice in the specs one is standard AVCHD 1920 or 1440 that shoots interlaced footage, this will work OK.

Progressive footage will not at the above sizes.

Al

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2013 5:57 PM in response to Justin: Mac Man

First thing to address is FCE and Mountain Lion.

In short these two are not supported by Apple working together.

Users have varying results from mostly working to not working or even installing.

FCP X is the supported app for Montain Lion. Ask there for more info if you wish to consider that option.

Regards the camera working with FCE:

This camera shoots a bunch of video sizes and frame rates.

I notice in the specs one is standard AVCHD 1920 or 1440 that shoots interlaced footage, this will work OK.

Progressive footage will not at the above sizes.

Al

Jan 6, 2013 6:49 PM in response to Alchroma

Yeah, I figured they may have problems since FCP X is out. I installed this on Snow Leopard (actually, I just updated to Mountain Lion a few days ago), and I was using it for another project. However, I haven't actually tried logging and capturing yet.

I don't know much about those formats... how will the quality be on the video? Will it be 1080p/720p/480p, etc etc, or somewhere in-between? Also, if it's full-quality footage, do you know if my Mac would be able to handle it?

It's fine if you don't, you've helped out a lot already! Thanks.

Jan 6, 2013 7:15 PM in response to Justin: Mac Man

The HF-M40 is another H.264 "not quite AVCHD" camcorder. It's native recording format is 1080i60 which is compatible with FCE ... but you still have that "not quite AVCHD" issue to deal with. If it's real AVCHD then you will be able to use FCE 4.0.1 to directly Log & Transfer from the camera. If it's not, you will need a utility like MPEG Streamclip to transcode the clips to QuickTime/Apple Intermediate Codec to use them in FCE.

Also, just be aware that the HF-M40 support two modes known as PF24 and PF30 which are Canon's 24fps and 30fps progressive modes recorded as 1080i60. They may or may not work with FCE.

Note that FCE was discontinued over 18 months ago and never supported non-AVCHD H.264, AVCHD-Lite, or any progressive mode other than 720p25/30. The current product is Final Cut Pro X and should handle your HF-M40 footage without problems.

Jan 6, 2013 8:16 PM in response to Justin: Mac Man

If you get yourself FCP X then all the format problems and fussiness is PRETTY much over as it works with a much wider variety of sizes/frame rates than FCE.

FCP X has a free trial version from the App Store.

If FCE works on your Mountain Lion Mac then Martins' advice are things to account for.

Anything that is not Standard AVCHD interlaced will require jumping through hoops rather than direct ingesting.

Al

Canon Vixia HF M40 to FCE 4.0.1?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.