Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying or Moving Applications

I have a MacBook Pro and and a new MacBook Air both running Mountain Lion. I would like to move and copy some, but not all, of my applications from my MacBook Pro to the MacBook Air. How is this done?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 10:49 PM

8 replies

Jan 5, 2013 10:54 PM in response to lburech

In general, moving or copying some but not all applications is challenging for these reasons:

1. There may be parts of the application in not easily visible directories and various areas with various names.

2. There may be licensing or registration issues - are you allowed to have more than one copy, etc.?

The best way would be to use your original distribution media to load the app to the MacBook Air.

There are other options, but it really depends on the apps.

Jan 6, 2013 9:00 AM in response to sberman

Thanks for your prompt reply.

1. Will those various parts of the application you reference show up in App Zapper and then allow me to cancel out of trashing them and allow me then to move them once identified.

2. I will either move or copy depending on my licensing.

3. I have no orginal media. The Apps I would like to move were downloaded from the Internet.

Thanks you again.

Jan 6, 2013 5:50 PM in response to lburech

Heeding the advice of sberman about number of legal copies and so forth, try the drag and copy method would be my next suggestion. I have two partitions on my hard drive and I was able to drag applications from one partition to the other partition and all the applications worked okay.

Certain applications may require additional files as sberman typed.

If you downloaded the applications from the Internet, you could always download them again.

Copying or Moving Applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.