Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I delay my MBP from hibernating until the lid has been closed for a set period of time?

After extensive research, I have been unable to solve this problem and I'm hoping someone can explain this to me. Everytime I close the lid on my 13-inch, Early 2011 Macbook Pro, it immediately starts to write to disk (solid light on the front) for several seconds until it finally goes into Hibernate mode (flashing light on the front). The problem is, I frequently close the lid, then immediately reopen it within 15-30 seconds to resume typing or to add something I may have forgotten. Each time I reopen the lid before the light has started flashing, the MBP wakes for a moment, and allows me to resume typing. However, the Hibernation process has already begun and within 30 seconds, the screen goes blank. I have to wake it AGAIN, which is very annoying.

Based on my research, I could use pmset to change the hibernatemode to 0 (it is currently set at 3). However, I dont wish to disable hibernate mode completely; I DO want it to save a hibernation image to disk if it happens to run out of battery, so that when I resume I havent lost anything.

I then researched using standby and standbydelay to attempt a delay of the write to disk when going into standby mode. According to the pmset manual:

standby causes kernel power management to automatically hibernate a machine after it has slept for a

specified time period. This saves power while asleep

standbydelay specifies the delay, in seconds, before writing the hibernation image to disk and powering
off memory for Standby

I then set these values as below, expecting the laptop to wait 4200 seconds (70 minutes) before trying to write to disk when I close the lid:

standbydelay 4200

standby 1

Unfortunately, that did not work either. If I close the lid, the light glows solid immediately (indicating it is writing to disk), and if I try to reopen the lid before it is done, it will wake and seem fine, then 30 seconds later it goes blank right in the middle of me typing something. I usually have to click the mouse several times, or even the power button to re-wake it.

I do have InsomniaX installed, for when I want to close the lid and keep the machine awake permanently (while watching videos on airplay) and I have tried quitting that application to test this. However, when I close/reopen the lid..the result is the same. I cant keep InsomniaX enabled all the time, because it will never go to sleep when I truly want it to. If I am not using InsomniaX, I just want to delay hibernation until he lid has been closed for a set period (say 15 minutes or more). If I have not reopened the lid within that time, I want it to write to disk and go into hibernation mode. And if the battery runs all the way out, I want it to go into hibernation mode before shutting down so I can recover.

I would appreciate any help in solving this problem. Also any insight as to why the standbydelay setting above did not work. Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 5, 2013 11:51 PM

3 replies

How can I delay my MBP from hibernating until the lid has been closed for a set period of time?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.