Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching from disk to App Store, giving disk away

I bought iLife 11 and iWork 09 when they were released, as family pack disks.

For some time both suites have been installed on my two most recent Macs and also on my two old Macs.

I now want to give my two old Macs with these installed to my son.

He does not live at home, so is not in the same household, so not covered by the Family Pack EULA.

So I uninstalled all six programmes from the two most recent Macs and purchased fresh and installed them from the App Store.

The three iWork apps appear in the App Store list as purchased today, all is as I expected.

But the three iLife apps show as purchased February 2012, and are not showing as recent purchases in my iTunes account...not what I expected.

There is another slight wrinkle in the three iLife apps: when I went to the App Store to repurchase iPhoto and iMovie they showed as £13.99, so I assumed I was purchasing them as I intended, but Garageband showed as already purchased.

I don't like mysteries and loose ends, so any input welcome.

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 4:55 AM

9 replies

Jan 6, 2013 10:04 AM in response to HACKINT0SH

Thanks Hackintosh, yes I am on ML, but not sure where that leaves me.

I deleted my old disk-installed iLife apps, and tried to buy new licenses for iLife so that I comply with the EULA, but the process won't let me, apparently.

All three iLife apps are working fine on my computers and my son's, but I have only paid for one family license, and since we are not in the same household, I am breaking the terms of the EULA.

Caveat...it is possible that the charges for todays purchase via the App store have not shown up yet on my iTunes account. However I suspect they are not going to, because the iWork apps showed up immediately, and the iLife apps are shown as purchased eleven months ago.

Jan 6, 2013 4:39 PM in response to Mike Boreham

Unless your son is a single minor or adult child living away from home at university, there is no EULA, DVD version or MAS version, that allows you to pass the iLife or iWork apps to him.

If the two Macs that you wish to give him are pre-MAS Macs, you should completely erase them both and use the install DVDs that came with them to return them to the version of OS X that they shipped with. Then your son can set them up using his Apple ID with the latest versions of OS X and any apps that he wishes to purchase from the MAS.

Jan 6, 2013 11:55 PM in response to Dah•veed

Dah•veed wrote:

Unless your son is a single minor or adult child living away from home at university, there is no EULA, DVD version or MAS version, that allows you to pass the iLife or iWork apps to him.

That doesn't sound right.

Surely since I have completely uninstalled iLife and iWork from my machines, I am allowed to give him the original retail disks that installed them.

Jan 7, 2013 12:27 AM in response to Mike Boreham

Mike Boreham wrote:

Surely since I have completely uninstalled iLife and iWork from my machines, I am allowed to give him the original retail disks that installed them.

Just to back up what I said, I found this paragraph in the iLife EULA:

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, lend or sublicense the Apple Software. You may, however, make a one-time permanent transfer of all of your license rights to the Apple Software to another party, provided that: (a) the transfer must include all of the Apple Software, including all its component parts, original media, printed materials and this License; (b) you do not retain any copies of the Apple Software, full or partial, including copies stored on a computer or other storage device; and (c) the party receiving the Apple Software reads and agrees to accept the terms and conditions of this License. All components of the Apple Software are provided as part of a bundle and may not be separated from the bundle and distributed as standalone applications.

The iWork EULA is similar.

Switching from disk to App Store, giving disk away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.