Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

syncing feeling

my old iphone 3gs is running on ios4.2, and needs updating, but its linked via itunes to my old laptop, which is virtually useless. it takes forever to get started and fails to complete most commands. I have managed to connect to it but it failed to sync to my phone properly, so i couldnt transfer all my more recent purchases. I was advised to put itunes on my new laptop, download all my purchases, and sync to the new laptop. Doing this however results in a warning that all my data will be deleted and to save it i must use my old computer to back up my data. I dont want to lose anything, but dont know what to do next. i basically have 2 laptops with my itunes account on, neither of which will let me update my software without deleting data in some way. I am utterly confused as to what to do about this, so any and all help is appreciated, thanks 🙂

iPhone 3GS, iOS 4.2

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 7:29 AM

1 reply

Jan 6, 2013 7:34 AM in response to Carlos The Barbarian

The most straightforward way is to copy your iTunes folder from the old laptop to the new laptop. Then, when you sync it will erase the contents of the phone, but replace with the same content that you have just transferred to the new laptop. If this is impractical there is the following alternative, which is quite a bit more involved:

Syncing to a "New" Computer or replacing a "crashed" Hard Drive

syncing feeling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.