Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have a new brother wireless printer I am trying to associate with our Mac and it will not accept the disc - which is supposed to be compatible. Any suggestions on how to install the printer disc into the computer so the printer may be used?

I have a new brother wireless printer which I have been unable to associate with our Mac computer. Once the disc for the printer information to be installed into the computer is inserted - nothing happens. So the software for the printer cannot be uploaded into our system. I am not computer savvy and would love assistance on getting the printer to work since I do have children who will need to be able to print reports for school.

Thank you,

Millercls

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 7:45 AM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2013 8:40 AM in response to LousyFool

Ok. I downloaded the information you suggested and it still has not worked. My daughter had tried to go on the website yesterday to download information and the computer still stated that it could not find the printer. The printer is a brother MFC-J4510DW, which does not appear as one of the selectable printers in the drop down box once you try to print. Our computer model name is iMac, model identifier is iMac 10,1 Processor Intel Core 2 Duo. Any other suggestions? Or have I not done something correctly?

Jan 6, 2013 9:02 AM in response to millercls

Hmm, this model is not part of this list, and the list being from Dec 11th, it's a bit irritating...

Anyway, the Brother website has downloads here. Again, select the proper OS X you are running (no matter what Mac model you have). With that downloaded and installed (which is probably the same, or close enough to, what you have on that CD), the model should pop up in the list of available printer drivers.

Good luck.

(Say, you needed us/me here to find you this on the Brother site...? Hmmm..... 😉)

Jan 6, 2013 9:09 AM in response to millercls

How are you connecting the printer - via cable or wifi?

Sometimes resetting the printing system and starting over can help. Go to System Preferences>Print & Fax (or Print & Scan, depending on version of OSX)>Control+Click or Right Click on a printer on the left of the window (or in the white space if there is no printer listed) and select Reset Printing System. All printers will be deleted and need to be added again using the '+' symbol at the bottom left of the window.

Jan 6, 2013 9:44 AM in response to Paul_31

Thank you. I will also give this a try. This is a frustrating process. We have not connected the printer to the computer with a USB port, only have been trying to access the printer via the WiFi connection - which is not working yet. I almost want to just give up and plug it in, but the whole reason for wanting the wireless option of because the computer is in the kitchen on the counter and the printer would just be more lost space.

Jan 6, 2013 11:33 AM in response to millercls

have a wifi samsung printer and it's also painful to setup

best way for me was to connected it with ethernet cable

and use the various strange samsung programs I had to install

in the end I had gotten it to have it's own IP which meant I could

set it up using a browser

and then it worked

if you're not pretty handy around computer hardware setup

then getting a friend or relative who are to come around is a good idea

well that and reading the manual over and over again and googling like a madman about

people with the same printer in the same situation and how they overcame their obstacles

I have a new brother wireless printer I am trying to associate with our Mac and it will not accept the disc - which is supposed to be compatible. Any suggestions on how to install the printer disc into the computer so the printer may be used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.