Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not make network user accounts

After upgrading from 10.6.8 Server to 10.8 and installing server tools, I can not make network user accounts. All of my old network user accounts migrated to the new OS and work properly, I just can not seem to make new accounts under 10.8.

Under 10.6.8 I would log into Workgroup Manager as diradmin and I could pretty easily make new users.

Under 10.8.2 I launch the server app and click on "users". The addition (+) symbol in greed out for making new users. I can make local users via System Preferences, but I can not see any way to change local users to network users via either System Preferences or the Server app.

I have logged into the server app using a local administrator account, the diradmin account, and the root account. None of the accounts allow access to create new network users (addition symbol is greed out).

Is there a trick to making network users in 10.8 that I am missing?

(as an aside, I have noticed I can log into Directory Utility as diradmin and can view the node with all my network accounts. It seems like I might be able to manually create a user account this way, but I'm not quite sure how to make the user record)

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), Server

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:19 AM

5 replies

Jan 8, 2013 8:17 AM in response to Twister_mac

Open Directory service is started and functional for all the pre-existing network user accounts that were made under 10.6.8 and earlier. I just can not seem to create new netowork user accounts.

I followed the steps on this page and managed to make a user record that appeared as a network user in the Server app, but I still can not seem to log in under the user I made in this fashion (dscl command via terminal).

http://www.deadmarshes.com/Blog/20111105010130.html

Can not make network user accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.