Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I know the actual download speed my AppleTV is getting

Is it possible for me to know the download speed my AppleTV is getting? I have it connected to my wireless home network like this:

U-Verse Gateway > (via Ethernet) Apple Time Capsule > Airport Express > AppleTV

I've tried to get a idea of what the speed is but I'd really like to know for sure because when I test the speed with other devices while sitting next to the AppleTV I get very different results. For example, my MBP is getting around 12.5 Mbps but my iPad is getting just over 6 Mbps from the very same spot.

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2.2 Ghz Intel Core i7

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:24 AM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2013 11:40 AM in response to Jim Constant

I could be wrong, but I think it has more to do with your internet speed (modem + router) than with the AppleTV. I think it can handle any load (the biggest load being streaming HD content), it's just a question of how fast your internet connection provided by your ISP can download it; streaming it from the router to AppleTV should have little to nothing to do with speed.

Jan 7, 2013 9:26 AM in response to Desidarius

Sure, nothing will work properly without a fast enough internet download speed. But I've confirmed that I'm getting plenty of speed (16+ Mbps). Since it's connected wirelessly I expect it to be less than the full speed I'm getting from my ISP but I'd like to be able to measure it more precisely. If I sit next to my AppleTV with my Macbook Pro and my iPad and test the speed, I get very different results on the Mac vs. iPad. I want to see what the AppleTV is getting.

Jan 7, 2013 9:35 AM in response to Jim Constant

If you have problems on your LAN they are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

Jan 7, 2013 9:49 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Hi Winston,

I appreciate the response but I'm not saying I have a problem with my LAN. Things seem to be okay but I'm a little puzzled by the big difference in measured speeds when I measure with my Macbook and then my iPad sitting in the very same spot.

I'm asking if there's a way for me to measure the speed at which my AppleTV is actually receiving data.

Thanks

How can I know the actual download speed my AppleTV is getting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.