Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 fix a problem I am having with Java?

For a long time a certain website causes my Firefox browser to hang, sometimes for over a minute. I believe the problem is with Java and I would like to upgrade from Java 6 to Java 7. However, I need Lion to do this. I am happy with Leopard and do not want to go to the trouble and expense of upgrading my OS unless there is a good chance the new version of Java would end my problem. Advice please!

Mac mini 1.42, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:20 AM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2013 10:02 AM in response to jap0nica

What OS do you have; your profile doesn't match your post? 😕

If you cannot (or are unwilling to) disable Java altogether then you may find it best to upgrade to Snow Leopard. There are updates in Snow Leopard that solve some problems with Java.

A little reading, though perhaps not specifically to your problem

Flashback malware and Java issues.: Apple Support Communities

Message was edited by: seventy one

Jan 6, 2013 10:23 AM in response to noondaywitch

Java is almost ASSUREDLY my problem and without it, I can't play online scrabble, so disabling it would defeat the purpose! Firefox hangs for one scrabble site only. The browser doesn't crash but stops responding and sometimes I have to wait 1-2 minutes for my scrabble board to load. It uses something called Java Fast Rack. No other website crashes in Firefox.

I have read reams of similar complaints for close to two years and no one has ever been able to solve this problem. That is why I thought I would upgrade Java. But I can't do it with Leopard, I would have to upgrade to Lion.

I do not wish to change browsers. In every other respect, I like Firefox.

PS I have edited my profile to show my correct OS

Jan 6, 2013 1:44 PM in response to jap0nica

jap0nica wrote:

Could I prevail upon you to provide me with a link to the developer?

Now I'm confused. What developer? I thought we were talking about a web site using FireFox.

If there is a Java problem then it would involve the web site developer. You should contact them (surely you know the link to that site) and ask if they have done anything that requires Java 7. If they have it would be very unusual as most users that upgraded to Java 7 found out that the web site(s) they use no longer worked and had to revert. Normally a web site developer is slow to update and attempt to make it backward compatible as they realize that will cause problems.

Jan 6, 2013 1:54 PM in response to MadMacs0

Sorry I misunderstood. When you suggested I contact the developer, I thought you meant the Java site. I have already exchanged voluminous correspondence with the scrabble site, who keep insisting it's my browser's fault. And yet I have no difficulties with another scrabble site, where the boards load quickly.

I guess the newest Java would not solve the problem and perhaps only make it worse. Guess I'll go on living with this annoying problem. In the time it takes for my tiles to load, I can make a pot of coffee. Can't do anything that involves Firefox in its deep freeze.

Thanks anyway

Will upgrading from 10.6 to 10.7 fix a problem I am having with Java?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.