Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

getting dark slide show on export to iDVD

I made a slide show in Aperature with music and I exported it using QT on best resolution and then import it to a project in iDVD. Everything works fine, except when I went to play it on my 65 inch flat screen, I get much darker photos which are unsuable compared to viewing the slide show on my iMac, which is absolutely perfect in terms of exposure, color fidelity and tonality. After burning the same slideshow to a DVD disc and displaying it, it is far darker,

Any suggestions?

I would hate to have to lighten each and every photo to the point where it looks terrible on my MAC, but great on DVD. It takes just too long to make adjustments on every picture as well.

iMac 24" 2.13ghz, White Intel, Mac OS X (10.5.2), iMac 24" alu 2.8GHz HD 500GB 2GB RAM

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:27 AM

12 replies

Jan 6, 2013 9:51 AM in response to Beatlejoose

Also it's not clear if you tried this, play the DVD on the Mac. How does it look in this case?

This would really be the test to do. If the iDVD created DVD played on the Mac looks OK then the issue is really one of the DVD player/TV settings.

If however the created DVD looks dark on the Mac even though the .mov file looks OK then something is going on with iDVD and or the DVDs your are using.

Jan 6, 2013 10:04 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

yes I did, but all it did was make the highlights blown and blacks crushed, I also played the burned DVD in my iMac using the DVD Player to see if it was something in the process of burning or in how it gets rendered. The burned DVD did look darker when compared to using Aperature to load and play the slideshow directly.

So i am assuming there is a degree of change occuring during the rendering that darkens the whole slideshow overall. The Start or theme page on iDVD looks as it should and the pics are OK in that space. So cant really figure out how to get this corrected

Jan 6, 2013 10:14 AM in response to Beatlejoose

yes I did, but all it did was make the highlights blown and blacks crushed

Well I used brightness as a catchall for adjusting the TV using all the settings, you might have to do more then adjust brightness. As I wrote there is no way I can use the same settings for different inputs into my TV. And this would seem to be something the manufactures know will happen as they give you discreet settings for each input.

I also played the burned DVD in my iMac using the DVD Player

Does your Mac not have a DVD drive? How did you burn the disk to begin with?

The test would be to use the drive you burned the DVD with.

Jan 6, 2013 10:13 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Frank,

I think you might be right, I did play the burned DVD in my MAC using the DVD player and it was darker than the original played directly from Aperature. Also it looks as it lost some dynamic range or tonality overall. Its a shame, cause on my MAC it looks superb using the Aperature slideshow player.

Problem is that I am giving this as a gift in form of DVD/slideshow from Photos I took at their wedding and it just isn't quite up to snuff compared to actual photos. I understand the resolution wouldn't be the same, and that the Quality of the DVD would be a not quite as sharp. But I wasn't counting on the darker pics overall.

I think, I might have to overexpose them a bit or use a brighter setting within each pic, but then that would mean I would have to make another project and have them all brightened up and then do an export. Sheesh!!!

OH well, any other ideas welcomed.

Jan 6, 2013 10:19 AM in response to Beatlejoose

So you burned the DVD and turned around and play it back in the same drive and it's darker?

It;s been a while since I used iDVD but can't you look at the completed as will be burned movie before actually burning it? How does it look then?

Also I believe you can write the burn file to the HD and then copy that to a DVD (intended for times you want to make multiple copies, save you from having to do all the coding each time.) Anyway this file on the HD can also be played. You might want to see what that looks like.

Jan 6, 2013 10:42 AM in response to Beatlejoose

I also checked the the .MOV file before uploading into iDVD and played that in finder on my MAC side by side with aperature slideshow so that both can be viewed together. Well the results were that the exported .MOV files played darker than the original slideshow played directly from Aperature.

I pressed the space bar and the play button on the finder or preview player and there it was, the exported .mov was darker and had less tonality. I exported from Aperature at the highest setting which was the 1080P setting in Aperatures export settings drop down window. So I suspect that the original slideshows resolution and all the settings of that version are kept in the slideshow, but exporting in .mov reduces or leaves out certain info or it simply just can't reproduce with such accuracy using the 1080P mode. It was darker and had less tonality everything was just darker with crushed blacks and reduced dynamic range.

Now you take this .mov file and then import it into iDVD and burn it at DVD resolution and you get less than you had with playing through even the finder window.

This way of exporting to make a DVD slideshow is better than when I moved it into iMovie and made a project from there, I did that many times before and the quality was much blurrier, its best export from Aperature into the highest quality QT/.mov file and save in a movie file or any folder then import into iDVD directly skipping iMovie, but then you deal with a bit less dynamic range and a darker overall slideshow but the pictures are quite a bit sharper.

Jan 6, 2013 10:47 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

Yes I used the DVD player in my MAC, the one I burned the DVD with, which is what I was trying to get accross, but didn't do so well, and I posted those results too.

I will try adjusting something on the player that is connected to the TV and the TV again, but I would not like to have to do that everytime i make a slideshow on DVD, its enough work already if you know what I mean. It just takes the fun out of it.

Jan 6, 2013 11:10 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

yes, you can use iDVD and play the whole thing before you burn it. I just opened it up again and played it side by side with Aperature slideshow playing and the iDVD shows a much darker and much warmer example, similar to the picture I get on the TV, maybe not quite as dark, but quite a bit darker than the perfect picture I get on Aperatures slideshow.

So maybe there is something natively in aperature export to .Mov or in iDVD that makes it darker. I get the same dark picture playing the project directly in iDVD before burn and and even darker picture and less sharp after Burning it and playing it in the DVD drive in my Mac or on the player connected to the TV than in the aperature slideshow directly.

getting dark slide show on export to iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.