5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 1:05 AM by Michael Allbritton
Tyler Routson Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

I've noticed that on some records that I matched to 256k, the levels from song to song can be way different. Talking Heads 77 specifically was really noticable. Anyone else have this issue and/or solution?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), 4 GB RAM, 250 GB Hard Drive
  • e5c4p3artist Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)

This can definitely happen when some songs from and album match and others upload.  If all songs on a given album matched, this is strange. There is an option in iTunes, under the Edit menu and Preferences to normalize the volume of all songs.  Once the preferences dialog is displayed, it on the Playback tab.  Check the box to enable 'Sound Check.'  iTunes will start analyzing all your songs.  This may take some time when first turned on.  iTunes is not modifying your actual song files, but just the meta-information it stores about them.  It will store a dB level offset for each song.  When it plays back songs, it will use this offset to approximately make all songs the same volume.

Note, after enabling this option in iTunes, you will also need to enable this option on your other devices as well, like you iPhone.  The option is under Settings and Music.

• Tyler Routson Level 1 Level 1 (50 points)

Thanks for the reply. I will say I don't and mix uploaded and matched songs on the same album so these are all from iTunes

• e5c4p3artist Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)

It is strange that that would happen, but I do not doubt it one bit.  However the 'Sound Check' option should help you even though all the songs are matched.

• Brij011 Level 2 Level 2 (150 points)

You may think you haven't mixed matched and unmatched songs but iTunes match seems to randomly match some tracks and upload others from the same album - even if you purchased them from iTunes!

Have you checked that all theTalking Heads 77 album tracks were actually matched?

• Michael Allbritton Level 6 Level 6 (16,785 points)

You can know for sure by enabling the iTunes Status column in the iTunes browser. In Song view (AKA List view) pull down View > View Options and select "iCloud Status." Close the window and you will see the new column. This will tell you whether the songs on the album are "matched," "uploaded" or "purchased." If the album was originally purchased from the iTunes Store it should all say "purchased." If it comes from somewhere else the tracks will be "matched" or "uploaded."