Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari bookmarks won't stay put

Whenever I try to rearrange my considerable list of bookmarks folders in Safari (about 60 folders), any change I make snaps back to the way it was after a few seconds, automatically. Then when I make the change a second time it usually sticks. The same often happens when I try to rearrange my dock icons. Does anyone else have this problem? It just makes rearranging these items extremely tedious. All my software is up to date as of this post.

OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:50 AM

7 replies

Jan 6, 2013 9:00 PM in response to Linc Davis

It is, and upon further research, this has to do with the way Apple syncs bookmarks with iCloud. When I turn off iCloud syncing, the bookmarks remain where they are as I arrange them. It seems that iCloud bookmark syncing automatically takes place within a certain time period of making any changes to bookmarks, too bad that we can't adjust this setting (or even have any option at all besides "Merge" when it comes to repairing iCloud bookmarks). I worked around my problem by following advice on other posts regarding iCloud syncing, in short, I turned OFF iCloud bookmark syncing on all my Apple devices; then re-arranged my bookmarks to my liking, and exported them via Safari's export bookmarks feature; then I deleted all bookmarks and turned iCloud bookmark syncing back on, (and made sure my empty bookmark set synced and replaced iCloud's bookmark set). Only after that was I able to import my bookmark set, then ensure that it synced via iCloud to the rest of my devices. Quite a tedious workaround that could be solved very simply by Apple adding the ability to Merge or Download the current bookmark set, instead of the currently single available Merge option.

Oct 7, 2013 6:38 AM in response to Tom Bombaci Jr

Nothing has changed as of just now. This is WAY beyond irritating. Apple needs to pay some serious attention to things that non-novices want to do — keeping Safari bookmarks arranged the way the user wants, making iCloud work right, editing the distribution list in Contacts, major improvements to the OS/Application Help system, and (maybe this is just me) making the offline versions of Pages and Numbers serious contenders as productivity software.

Nov 9, 2013 3:49 PM in response to MacSkillet

I just posted a possible workaround to this in another discussion. This worked for me, where I had no success trying to simply move a new bookmark folder to the top spot in my bookmarks because of the issue described above.

Move the new bookmark or folder to the second spot, not the topmost spot. Then move the bookmark or folder above it so that it's below it. For me in two instances, everything stayed. In every case where I tried to move something new to the top spot, it eventually moved back to the bottom. Still not working right but at least I got things how I want them.

I hope this helps some people.

Nov 30, 2013 9:34 AM in response to MacSkillet

I have the same problem.

ScottNY71's work-around doesn't even apply to my case, where I want to add a new bookmark into the middle of a long list of (ca. 120) bookmarks I use to keep track of what profile and info I have stored on any given site I visit.

After the list hit ca 80, I started experiencing the bounce back to the bottom phenomenon. Up to about 100, after resetting the bounced-back bookmark, a second-time, it stayed. After 100, they don't seem to stay and sometimes they bounce down in blocks of two or three.

This is a drag, if it works well for 50, it should work well for 500, or 5000. I don't understand why normal behaviour is not totally scalable.

Jul 14, 2014 12:47 AM in response to MacSkillet

This is yet another example of Apple totally failing to listen to its users. As with the above comments, this is such an incredible annoyance. The workaround shouldn't need to be a convoluted user fix.

Unfortunately, after six + dedicated years with all Apple products, I ain't going to be looking at their products next time around.

Don't listen to your customers at your peril.

Apple = fundamental business decline.

Safari bookmarks won't stay put

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.