Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1st Gen Apple TV will not sync 1080P TV shows

I have a 1st gen Apple TV. With iTunes 11 I noticed I could prefer 1080P so I did.

Those six TV episode that dowloaded will not sync to my ATV.

No error messages. Nothing. I tried to redownload in 720P no luck.

Any suggestions. I want to watch my TV shows.

the Apple TV and the Mac Mini I am using for a server are hardwired on the same 100+ Mb switch.

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 11:54 AM

10 replies

Jan 9, 2013 9:29 PM in response to michelleWesternMT

I am also having a similar issue but not sure it is 1080p related. Ever since upgrading to itunes 11 (on a Mac Mini Server but using the normal (not server edition) of 10.8.2) it seems that new TV shows I download do not sync onto the Apple TV first generation. The strange thing is when I look at what is on the Apple TV in itunes it shows that the TV shows are on the Apple TV but when I go to the Apple TV itself the shows are not there. I have tried to fix this by deleting the shows and then re syncing (by hitting the Apply button) and even done a factory reset, tried auto sync vs custom sync etc. The even stranger thing is that I have the first seven or so episodes of the show which show up on the Apple TV but the recent two or three episodes (I have Season Pass) just don't show up on the Apple TV no matter what I do despite the fact that they appear in itunes and the apple TV section in itunes.

I should mention that when I purchased the shows I purchased them in itunes on the Mac Mini not directly on the Apple TV.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Jan 11, 2013 6:44 PM in response to sunilchk

Same problem here!

I can buy shows directly on Apple TV (first gen) and play them no problem but it won't play shows that I download on my Mac. Apple TV seems to be syncing fine. The show is in my iTunes library and I can watch it on the Mac, but as far as apple tv is concerned it doesn't exist.

Have tried restarting both devices numerous times and all software is up to date.

Jan 18, 2013 10:13 PM in response to michelleWesternMT

I was having the same problem. After deauthorizing & reauthorizing my computer, restoring & re-updating my Apple TV first generation, I deleted my 1080p shows from a season pass in iTunes. I chose to download the free season preview to iTunes after choosing 720p as my preferred download (in Preferences>Store) and unchecking the download in HD box in the iTunes store under my purchases. Still, my preview would not sync. I went to the Apple TV and to TV Shows (not MY TV Shows). I went to the free preview and said "buy in HD" - next I got the confirmation screen and I clicked ok or buy and it said that I had already purchased it and I should go to the purchased page (haven't looked for that screen yet). I clicked "Watch Now" and it started downloading! Next I did the first episode the same way & got it downloading. Since I purchased the season pass, I tried to "buy" that - this time I received a warning saying that I was about to buy it again and it might be a duplicate. So I cancelled that. As I only watch the TV shows on the Apple TV, I'm going to stick to purchasing directly through the Apple TV from now on. I think I could have done this from the beginning and it would have worked. It just didn't occur to me. I certainly didn't want to pay for it twice and I didn't think about doing the free preview until I read some other forum posts.

And now to get all my old content back on the Apple TV...

1st Gen Apple TV will not sync 1080P TV shows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.