Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with extending Wi-Fi

I have a big problem, cause I have quite a big space which I want to cover with Wi-Fi. I have a Time Capsule device connected by LAN cable in my office, and I create a Wi-Fi network with it. I have also 3 Air Port Express devices, which I want to use to extend the range. The thing is that right now, all off the APE connect parallel to the Time Capsule - then 2 of 3 APE, have very very poor signal quality. What I want to do is to have my network look like this:

Time Capsule is extended by APE 1, and then I want to extend the network from APE 1, parallel by APE2 and 3. How can I do this? How to tell the airport to connect not to the Time Capsule, but to the APE? Looking forward to hearing from you!

Air Port Express/Time Capsule-OTHER, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 1:53 PM

Unfortunately, you will not be able to do what you want trying to "extend" using wireless only.

The reason for this is is that Apple's "Extend a wireless network" settings work like the hub and spokes of a wheel.

In your setup, the Time Capsule is the "hub" and each AirPort Express resides at the end a separate "spoke". The devices at the ends of each spoke communicate directly to the hub, not to another device at the end of another spoke.

In order to do what you want, you will need to plan to connect one or more AirPort Express devices back to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection to "extend" in that manner.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 6, 2013 1:53 PM in response to nightfox_aj

Unfortunately, you will not be able to do what you want trying to "extend" using wireless only.

The reason for this is is that Apple's "Extend a wireless network" settings work like the hub and spokes of a wheel.

In your setup, the Time Capsule is the "hub" and each AirPort Express resides at the end a separate "spoke". The devices at the ends of each spoke communicate directly to the hub, not to another device at the end of another spoke.

In order to do what you want, you will need to plan to connect one or more AirPort Express devices back to the Time Capsule using a wired Ethernet connection to "extend" in that manner.

Problem with extending Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.