Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library.

With the many glitches and endless issues that are associated with iTunes Match, I'm happy that my subscription has finally expired. I would like to sever all ties with the service, however any time I try to add an existing song from my Library to one of my existing playlists - I get the above message followed by "If you continue, *Your Playlist* will be removed from iCloud and will only be available on this computer". This is exactly what I want! So I promptly click "Remove Playlist and Continue" thinking I won't ever see the message again (for that playlist at least) only to find the message continuously poping up every time I try to add any song to any playlist. How can I put an end to the madness?!

Thanks

-G

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 24", 3.06 GHz, 4GB 800MHz, 1TB

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 12:30 PM

15 replies

Jan 7, 2013 4:13 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

Michael, after adding numerous songs to my various playlists all day without any trouble, iTunes is suddenly back ot its old ways. I've just reset logged out of iTunes, reset my iMac, and still the message continues to pop up when I try and add certain songs to certain playlists. However, other songs can be added without the message appearing. Any ideas?

-G

Jan 8, 2013 12:34 PM in response to Michael Allbritton

After doing some experimentation I've made a few observations:

- The problematic playlists are all static in nature

- Only songs I purchased from the iTunes store cause the pop up message to occur (songs derived from my own personal collection will add to any playlist with no problem)

- Only playlists created since my iTunes Match subscription exipired are affected (playlists created prior to the expiration do not have problems adding any songs)

...Thus, the problem comes when I try and add a song I've purchased from iTunes to a playlist I've created since the iTunes Match expiration.

Jan 28, 2013 9:34 AM in response to tampa G

I also decided against renwewing my Match subscription. I'd love it if I'd never heard of iCloud. If I allow the playlist to be removed from iCloud and "available only on this computer" does that mean that it will no longer synch with my iPhone and all my music will be wiped from my iPhone? Most of it has been purchased on iTunes. Thanks for your help.

Apple Novice.

Jan 29, 2013 2:50 PM in response to hillise

It is possible to retain the music on your iPhone without iTunes Match or the iCloud.

-When your iPhone is connected to your computer - open iTunes and under "Devices" click on your iPhone.

-Click the "Music" tab located in the top middle of the displayed screen.

-From here check the boxes of the respective music you would like to add to your iPhone.

-Finally, click "Sync" located at the bottom the bottom right hand portion of the window.

-G

Nov 24, 2013 8:40 AM in response to tampa G

I know you've already found the solution to your question, but I just had the same problem even though I AM still subscribed to iTunes Match and this might help others if it happens to them.

I discovered the reason for my problem is that I was trying to add whole albums with Digital Booklets and the booklets were the problem. Once I either deleted the digital booklets from the album or selected the specific songs only then they added to my playlist fine.

iCloud playlists can only contain songs from your iCloud music library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.