Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Importing Canon HF R300 video into EXT HD (not using imovie)..??

Good day folks.!!

Been playing with my new late 2012 - 27" imac lately and today finally bought a new camcorder. The Canon Vixia HF R300. The camera records in AVCHD and I have found many topics on how to import my video from the camera to my imac..."going through iMovie" BUT - here is my dilema.......

I just want my clips on my EXT HD.... and I dont want to have to go through imovie (or iphoto) to do that. The only way i have found to do this is by importing all my vid clips into iphoto and the exporting them all to my EXT HD.

Also, example here.....If I have 20 clips on my camera, I dont want to have to import all 20 clips into imovie (or iphoto) & then export them from there - just so I can get them to my EXT HD.

Is there a way to get the clips to my EXT HD, w/o needing or using imovie (imovie 11). I have simply taken the SDHC card out of my camera and put it in my imac...and sure the vid files comes up.....but they are not drag and dropppable. It's basically like I can see them, but cant move them.

Any help?

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:42 PM

28 replies

Jan 6, 2013 6:33 PM in response to bms-lou

You said you use an SDHC card? I'm puzzled why you cannot drag (copy) them. Does your Canon icon's contents on your desktop look similar to this:

User uploaded file

Included in my folder are not only jpg's, but several video clips and I just tried: I can easily drag/copy them to my hard drive.

What are your settings for external disks, importing of photos/videos, etc? Check preferences in all of these: iPhoto, iMovie, Finder/view, Image Capture, System Preferences>CDs&DVDs, and any other photo/graphics/video application you have.

And, one more check: can you drag the video to your desktop and then copy it to the external from there?

Jan 6, 2013 7:21 PM in response to babowa

Yea, I'm really confused. When i put in my sdhc card this time. I was able to drag the "avchd" file (that contained my 3 vis clips) over. But after i opened the avchd file, i get the 3 files inside a window like this. These are the 3 files that arent draggable and I cant even rename them. They do show that they are there...but I cant do anything with them.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I'll also, add....that after i got these vid files in my EXT HD, and when i go to imovie to import them....this entire folder is grayed out, as if I can't import them either. Weird...I'm just not getting this. I thought it'd be a simple drag and drop after i put my sdhc card in back of my imac...but its just not drag and droppable. Heck....im not even sure why the file folder shows up like a quick time file....but the 3 files above dont show have entensions of .MOV either.??

Jan 6, 2013 7:43 PM in response to bms-lou

Okay, I cannot make out anything in your screenshot - by the time I zoom in enough, it shows too pixelated and jagged. My Canon (a camera, not a camcorder) imports videos as .mov files. Can you check the tech specs of your model either in your manual or on Canon;s website and post a link to them so I can look at what the format is this camcorder uses.

Jan 7, 2013 3:50 PM in response to babowa

User uploaded fileI appreciate you helping with this. 😉

I use a Canon Vixia HF R300 camcorder. Here is a better screen shot. The "Canon" on my desktop is my SD card inside the SD card slot. When I open it...I get the file "private"...which contains my vid clips as you can see. If I double click these files....they open the video and I can play it from there...but that is all I can do with them. I ca't move or drag them anywhere and all I'd like to do is drag them to my EXT HD.

Now, I have found out.....when I open my iphoto program and drag the "private" folder in iphoto...it does import the clips there. Also, if I export them from iphoto, to my EXT HD--they go there just fine and are .MOV files. Though when they are in iphoto and I hit the "I" (information about clip) button...they show they are H.264 format.

I guess, I'm just looking for an easier way to get them to my EXT HD - rather than having to import all my vid clips in iphoto and then needing to export them to get them there. Seems crazy i need to do all that....especially sicne this camera is verifyied as a compatible camcorder on Apple's Camcorder site.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Jan 7, 2013 5:23 PM in response to bms-lou

If your videos are .mov files, that is the format. H264 is one of several possible compression processes used, it's not a video format. So your files are supported.

Are you referring to this list:

http://help.apple.com/imovie/cameras/en/index.html?lang=en_US

I never use iPhoto, so I'm not able to help with that at all.

Another thought: what are you trying to drag to the external - the individual files or the entire folder? Try dragging the entire Canon icon or at least the topmost folder to the external - does that work?

I'm going to try to get the attention of one of our exceptionally knowledgeable guys to look at your problem; with the time differences, it may be tomorrow though.

Jan 7, 2013 6:16 PM in response to babowa

When I have videos that won't work or play, I just run it through different programs until I find something that works.

If I was having issues I'd even use Toast to see if I could import it, convert it to DVD, then rip it into something else.

If the OP has a set top DVD recorder, they could try that. Getting the video onto the recorder and burned to DVD, then rip it from there. I've occasionally had to go through a couple of conversions to salvage video files.

Jan 7, 2013 6:35 PM in response to babowa

SkyDiver......Yea, Mpegstreamclip - wont help me. I'm not sure why I'd want to convert them using that...when its already H.264. Thanks though. 😉

Babowa; Yea, I did drag the file marked "private" to my EXT HD as well, but when I open the "private" in my EXT HD, it opens the same as it did on my desktop (see my prev post w/ screen capture for reference again). All the files are unmoveable.

I also tried to just drag the "canon" (which is my SDHC card) to my EXT HD and it did drag in...but then I couldnt open or select it....it was like a dead file - meaning I couldnt click it or anything.

Lastly, that Apple link you sent...was the correct link. My Canon HF R300 shows full comatability with iMovie 11....hense me being confused on this.

User uploaded file

Jan 7, 2013 7:05 PM in response to Skydiver119

Thanks, I've tried all sorts of things myself - what puzzled me here is that it can be dragged/imported into iPhoto, but not to the external drive. That is just strange.

And thanks to both of you for jumping in!

@ bms-lou:

Frank mentioned something about software. I hadn't even considered that - do you have some software installed for importing the camcorder files? Maybe that is causing a problem.

Jan 7, 2013 7:11 PM in response to babowa

Yea, thanks all on the help.

I am currently going through the OSX version of the "Image Browser" software I got off the CAnon site-thanks to Frank, and its just not working either. Strange again. At this point...I might just have to deal with the iphoto dealings...as it was easier that going through all this and downloading more crap that wont work on my mac anyway.

I have my SDHC card plugged in my imac now, and the image browsewr software I downloaded isnt even acknowledging that I have files on the card....even though I see that there is.

Jan 7, 2013 7:26 PM in response to bms-lou

You really do not need any software to get footage off your SD card onto a Mac. None. You can use some, but unless it offers superb editing or other options you want to use, there is no need for it. So if you have something installed, can you drag it to the trash to test if it works better without it.

Also, did you check all your preferences in various places as I had suggested earlier? I have mine set so the icon simply shows up on my desktop. At that point, I can decide where it should go next. In your case, you should be able to copy it to the external then.

Importing Canon HF R300 video into EXT HD (not using imovie)..??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.