Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Voltage charger

May I use a 5.4 Volts charger to my ipod touch 5th g?

or is there something wrong that may damage the ipod?

iPod touch

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 2:23 AM

Is it a USB charger? In other words, does it have the USB style outlet?

• If it states that its output voltage is 5.4 volts, I would say it's not suitable for your iPod. (USB supply is 5 volts, not 5.4 volts.)
  • If it does have the USB style outlet, then it should be okay, although 5.4 volts is very slightly higher than the USB voltage.
  • If it is not a USB style device, the best advice is to avoid using it for your iPod becasue it could damage the iPod (if the polarity is reverse to the iPod's requirements.)
  • If you are unsure, then don't use it. Better that than ruin your expensive and delicate iPod.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 7, 2013 2:23 AM in response to Mario_LmvC

Is it a USB charger? In other words, does it have the USB style outlet?

• If it states that its output voltage is 5.4 volts, I would say it's not suitable for your iPod. (USB supply is 5 volts, not 5.4 volts.)
  • If it does have the USB style outlet, then it should be okay, although 5.4 volts is very slightly higher than the USB voltage.
  • If it is not a USB style device, the best advice is to avoid using it for your iPod becasue it could damage the iPod (if the polarity is reverse to the iPod's requirements.)
  • If you are unsure, then don't use it. Better that than ruin your expensive and delicate iPod.

Jan 12, 2013 7:44 PM in response to the fiend

User uploaded file

😮

his is the charger... It really looks like the original "Apple Ultracompact USB Power Adapter" but it isn't, it's a very well done copy of, that's why i'm asking if I could use it with my lightning USB cable. I repeat this is a copy of the original one but the only difference is the higher voltage, the highest output voltage of the adapter is 5.31 Volts.

Well it costed me 3 dollars.... the original cost is like 19 dollars

Here's the contrast between the original and the fake one

DIFERENCES

*ORIGINAL: 5 Volts 19 Dollars

*FAKE: 5.31 Volts 3 Dollars

External appearance: Its completely the same

Give me your opinion, do you really think that it could be dangerous to the ipod?

I know that all devices have a voltage tolerance of 5 to 10% aproximately.

Thanks for your help!! 😉

Jan 13, 2013 11:16 AM in response to Mario_LmvC

I think the word "fake" is probably a bit strong. In fact, unless is claims to be made by Apple (i.e. their name is on the charger), then I think you will find it's simply a universal USB power supply, and not a fake. It can therefore act as an iPod charger - if it can supply at least 500mA. That should be written on it or in the instructions.

As such, yes I believe it's fine to use with your iPod. Note that this is not a guarantee.

I notice that you now say the output voltage is 5.31volts. Are you measuring this with a voltmeter? When you previously mentioned 5.4volts, I assumed that this was stated on the charger, but if you are measuring it and got that voltage, then in my opinion I think that's fine.

So the difference between the two chargers is:

Apple branded one: $19

Unbranded one: $3

It's possible to buy an MP3 player for far less than the cost of an iPod. It will play music etc. But that doesn't make it a "fake".

Voltage charger

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.