Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export artist/album list to text file? iTunes 11, Win7.64bit

In older versions, it was simple. not for iTunes11.😠

How can one create a text list of all the artists and albums in their library to leave for friends, non .xml?

Thanks

Windows 7

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:00 PM

8 replies

Jan 6, 2013 7:32 PM in response to CelphTitled

As far as I can tell, it works the same in iTunes 11 on Win7 as it did on older releases.

If you don't see your sidebar, use View > Show Sidebar to enable it. Then right-click the name of the playlist (or "Music" if you want the whole library) and choose Export....

When the dialog appears, set "Save As Type" to "Text Files."

Jan 7, 2013 6:31 AM in response to ed2345

Thank you for the help. In this case, I can create an "all Music" playlist and right click on that playlist. Once there, I see an option to "export" and I can create a .txt file. Once created, that file is not formatted at all. Its a huge mess.

In the previous iTunes, you could create a list that was formatted the way it was copied. No need to "export".

I also cannot right click "music" in this new version.

Jan 7, 2013 7:31 PM in response to ed2345

Thats it! Thank you.

I want to have a list that shows artist and all the albums by that artist.

Here is how I made it work, for others who may stumble onto this:

Open up iTunes 11

Choose "MUSIC"

Click on "ALBUMS"

Click "view", "view options"

Choose sort by ARTIST then TITLE

Click "File" then "Print"

Under print menu, choose "Album Listing" radio button

Choose "theme: List of Albums"

Then print to .pdf using doPDF or any other means to print to .pdf.

Thanks! Just the list I needed!

Sep 11, 2013 5:48 AM in response to CelphTitled

I know this topic has been marked as solved, however, I would like to add for others that might read this in the future that the seemingly mess of a text file that gets exported when you do a "Save As Type" to "Text Files" method gets cleaned up rather nice if you open it in Excel. It puts the album, artist, track name, etc... all in their own rows and columns. From that point you can keep or delete the fields you want in one swoop. Cheers.

Sep 11, 2013 9:59 AM in response to CelphTitled

CelphTitled wrote:

Thank you for the help. In this case, I can create an "all Music" playlist and right click on that playlist. Once there, I see an option to "export" and I can create a .txt file. Once created, that file is not formatted at all. Its a huge mess.

It is a tab separated value txt fil (as ed noted).

It has all the fields but simply delete the columns you don't want.

I haven't tried in iTunes 11, but you used to be able to show only the columns you want in a playlist then select all & copy then past into a spreadsheet with only the showing columns info.

How do I export artist/album list to text file? iTunes 11, Win7.64bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.