Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

restore apple TV with iTunes 11

There is no source list in iTunes 11. Any ideas how to restore a 3rd gen Apple TV using a Micro USB cable??

Apple TV (3rd generation), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 6:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 3:42 AM

Welcome to the Apple Community.

The source list is in the top right corner of iTunes or in the sidebar if you enable it (either from the view menu or by pressing cmd-alt-S)

15 replies

Jan 7, 2013 4:54 AM in response to nwamacman

I assume this is with the USB cable connected. Are you following these instructions.

1. Remove ALL cables from Apple TV. (if you don't you will not see Apple TV in the iTunes Source list)
  2. Connect the micro USB cable to the Apple TV and to your computer.
  3. Reconnect the power cable (only for Apple TV 3)
  4. Open iTunes.
  5. Select your Apple TV in the Source list, and then click Restore.

Jan 7, 2013 5:01 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Yes, the LED on the front of the AppleTV blinks quickly and repetitively without pauses.

When I plug the HDMI cable into the back of the AppleTV, the only thing that shows up on the screen is the iTunes 11 desktop icon with a USB cable underneath it and an arrow from the cable to the iTunes icon suggesting that it needs to be plugged in.

I have tried the "Menu" + "Down" button command and the hard restart just results in the same image (iTunes 11 desktop icon with a USB cable underneath it).

Apr 8, 2013 4:29 AM in response to nwamacman

Hello,

I've got the exact same issue. I tried to connect my Apple TV via 3 different micro USB cable to all ports of 2 different MacBook Pros, but it only rapidly and continuously blinks. By the way both, the original and the replacement Apple TV behave identically.

I'm currently in talk with the Apple Support to find the cause of the problem.

Cheers,

Andras

restore apple TV with iTunes 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.