Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Caps Lock Key NOT Consistent!

I just got my NEW 15 inch MacBookPro w/ Retina and found that the Caps Lock key is VERY touchy. I often have to press it 2-4 times before it will work! I'm used to the keyboard, I'm a great typist ...something just doesn't seem right. Is this normal, am I over thinking this -is there a problem with my keyboard!? 😟

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 9:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2013 9:48 AM

Actually, you are mistaken; the caps lock key is quite consistent.

Here's an experiment: Press the caps lock key very lightly and very slowly. You will see that it ALWAYS activates.

Now poke the caps lock key extremely quickly. You will see that no matter how hard you poke it, if you poked it very fast it NEVER comes on.

Therefore the caps lock key has a diabolical delay on it set by Apple in order to troll its users: It only comes on if you press it slowly enough.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2013 9:48 AM in response to ktbgood

Actually, you are mistaken; the caps lock key is quite consistent.

Here's an experiment: Press the caps lock key very lightly and very slowly. You will see that it ALWAYS activates.

Now poke the caps lock key extremely quickly. You will see that no matter how hard you poke it, if you poked it very fast it NEVER comes on.

Therefore the caps lock key has a diabolical delay on it set by Apple in order to troll its users: It only comes on if you press it slowly enough.

Apr 30, 2014 4:11 PM in response to Drewmers

Unfortunately since it follows their specification it's not technically a "bug" so they won't fix it. They will just say "it's a feature not a bug". They put a delay on the caps lock key to prevent it from being "activated by accident".

The only "bug" here is in the brain of whatever Apple designer decided it would be a good idea to stunt the productivity of fast typers in favor of slow typers. Or that hitting the caps lock key "by accident" is a "common mistake" in typing. I wonder what study they based that on. Probably personal anecdotal evidence by the person who designed it. I don't recall ever in my life hitting the caps lock key by accident.

Oct 27, 2013 1:21 PM in response to ktbgood

I am having the same issue on my 13" MacBook Pro. I called tech support and they told me to bring it in after trying to troubleshoot over the phone. there is a work-around to fix this though. go to system preferences > Keybord > click on ModifierKeys... > set CAPS LOCK to "no action" > click ok > click on ModifierKeys... again > set CAPS LOCK to "CAPS LOCK" > click ok again > close out system preferences and test out... should work like normal now. There is a catch though, you wil hae to do this each time yu reboot as it reverts back to the mode with slow input responsiveness everytime you reboot. Hopefully Apple will patch this so you dont have to do this. I know this is a pain, but it should work. I have had to do this several times now, so it only takes me about 30 seconds to fix it now. Let me know if it works for you.

Apr 30, 2014 3:53 PM in response to ktbgood

I just received my new MacBook Pro 13" (Mid-2012) running OS X 10.9.2, and I'm having the same issue. I have tested every person's experiment/solution and each one applies to me. This is without a doubt a software bug. I have reported the bug to Apple through http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html and called AppleCare.

I STRONGLY encourage everyone to call AppleCare and report the bug on the link I've provided so this can be resolved.

Thanks!

d

Apr 30, 2014 4:27 PM in response to Drewmers

I don't think their actual specs for the developers are publicly available but if you google search about this problem and research it, you find out that they put it in there on purpose to prevent "accidental activation" of the caps lock key.

Although I seriously doubt anyone is hitting caps lock key by accident. This delay is a "fix" to a very rare and unlikely issue but causes a much, much more annoying issue with fast typers.

Apr 30, 2014 5:13 PM in response to ktbgood

Here's what I found. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1192

At least we know this is intentional.

I guess a way to go about getting this "concern" fixed for those of us who type fast would be to poise this as a new feature to appeal to the fast typing market. I agree with www.maxloh.com that Apple won't even entertain this as a bug since they've posted in the article above that this is intentional.

But I believe Apple moves with the masses. If possible, ALL USERS will be satisfied with the option to activate or deactivate this delay instead of forcing this feature on users who don't need it.

If anyone agrees then please file a comment as "design/ease of use" feedback and not a bug report.

Who knows...I may be too optimistic and naive, and it doesn't matter how comments are categorized :-/

I'm still going to do it 🙂

May 27, 2015 12:58 PM in response to ktbgood

its designed so that you don't accidentally hit it. press it and it'll work, tap it quickly and it won't. this occurs on all new apple keyboards. also you may notice you can tap the power button (when computer is ON) on new MacBooks with it as a key and it will not register this. you have to actually PRESS the buttons, not light tap.

overall this has advantages and disadvantages, i personally find it very useful, ESPECIALLY the power button being next to delete key, I've found myself tapping it by accident instead of delete sometimes, luckily it doesn't register 🙂.

Caps Lock Key NOT Consistent!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.