Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 8 on my Mac

How would I go about running Windows 8 on my Macbook Pro? I know about a thing called boot camp, but I don't understand how it works.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2013 8:56 PM

Boot Camp (see the Boot Camp Assistant in your Applications>Utilities folder) does not support Windows 8 at this time - only Windows 7.

You could always install Windows 8 using a virtual machine such as Parallels, though.

Clinton

5 replies

Jan 6, 2013 9:37 PM in response to patrickredsox

If you use Parallels, it just integrates Windows with OS X - they're both available at the same time. Parallels needs no special partition - it uses a single file to store the Windows files, apps, etc.

If you choose to run Windows 7 using Boot Camp, however, it's not so easy just to switch back and forth. You must reboot to get into Windows and vice-versa.

I would recommend taking Parallels for a test drive before using Boot Camp - I find that it does everything that I need in Windows and you can even cut and paste between Mac and Windows apps, etc.

Good luck,

Clinton

Windows 8 on my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.