Skip navigation

Mac Mini (Late 2012 model) - No AUDIO output via HDMI

2819 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 3:58 PM by Chenbmac RSS
Chenbmac Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Jan 6, 2013 9:48 PM

Hello everyone,

I recently bought a late 2012 top of the line Mac Mini running MAC OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.2.

When connected to a SAMSUNG Monitor/TV (Model: T27A550) via the HDMI port, I'm only able to get the sound through the Monitor speakers, if it's through the analog Audio IN connection of the monitor, using a 3.5mm traditional audio cable connected to the Mac Mini's LINE OUT.

If I'm not mistaken HDMI also supports sound output through the monitor's speakers. Right?

I went to the system preferences to change the sound output device. There were the Headphones and the Monitor model as the only 2 options. When trying to select the HDMI option it automatically reassigns the Headphones options.

I also tried to configure the audio output to go through the HDMI output via the AUDIO MIDI SETUP. Once again I was unsuccessful.

Does anyone have any idea as to how to solve this issue? Is it a hardware or software issue? Does anyone know if APPLE is working on a software update to solve this problem?

Thanks a lot!

Mac mini (Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), SAMSUNG SyncMaster A27TA550
  • philhoggins Calculating status...

I have the exact same setup as you.  Firstly how are you connected, I have a thunderbolt to HDMI cable converter to make the connection, are you going HDMI to HDMI?, does your HDMI cable support audio ?, second you will have no volume control via the keyboard using HDMI for sound which is a real pain.  I use Soundflower to get over this and have a very happy audio setup (google how to set it up)

Phil

• qazxsw52 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)

FWITW:  Using HDMI to HDMI I have sound control in iTunes via a wireless keyboard: the apple key and the up down arrows.

HTH

What I dont have is sound control via the Apple remote within iTunes

• philhoggins Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

can't help there...my remote works fine...never had an issue

• Laorens Level 1 Level 1 (20 points)

Hello

You simply cannot modify the volume while using an HDMI connection because this is the end periphreal (the monitor) which manage sound level.

You can check on the settings / Sound panel / Output.

All available outputs are shown.

As you see below my monitor is connected in HDMI.

The lowest arrow shows the volume control is greyed out. And a short phrase says the control volume is [...] on the selected peripheral.

Capture.JPG

Last thing: if you press the volume up or volume down key on your keyboard, you shoud see a iforbidden grey sign.

I hope this helps.

By the way: did you try to insert then take out a headphone jack into the output?

Best wishes

• philhoggins Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)

Soundflower over rides this.. I have full control of audio via keyboard and remote.  google soundflower and mini mac.

Phil

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.