Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to update to 6.0.1 how hard can this be?

ios 6.0.1 Iphone 4

I want to update,

iPhone 4

Posted on Jan 7, 2013 4:31 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2013 12:56 PM in response to LSC Brian

Take notice this update can take a long time to process. I have an iPhone 4 and the download was a breeze but the update took over 30 minutes.

At least twice there was a block of time of almost 10 minutes in length where it appeared the phone had just frozen. There was the white Apple icon and a progress bar that had absolutely no progress on it for 10 minutes straight.

The temptation to unplug it and restart the process is strong. Resist it.

This update involves updating your firmware. If you unplug the phone in the middle of that you might have a brick on your hands.

This could very well be the problem several people are experiencing when they loose all their contacts etc. Do not unplug the phone until the process is totally finished.

You will know it is finished when your phone restarts with a screen that has a very large iOS6.

Feb 8, 2013 1:25 PM in response to LSC Brian

The current update is to iOS 6.1. It is actually a bit better than iOS 6.0.1. Depending on what OS you currently have installed you may need to update through iTunes. If you have iOS 5.X I think you can update over the air (OTA) but I would recommend doing the iTunes update rather than the OTA version. I have always had good luck updating my phones to the latest OS using iTunes and most of the problems I have read about on these message boards seem to be from people who did an iCloud back up and OTA update and restore.

1. Back your phone up to iTunes do a full back up by clicking the backup button not just a sync.

2. Shut down all apps running in the background, double tap the Home button to open the multitask tray, tap and hold on any app icon until they start to jiggle, then tap the red X on each icon to shut it down.

3. Restart your phone, hold both the Home and Power buttons down at the same time, continue to hold them until the Apple logo appears, wait for the phone to restart. Its like rebooting a computer.

4. Click on the update button and wait like bereanboarder said above. It can take a while for the process to finish.

Hopefully you won't have any glitches during the update process and when you are done you will have the latest update available on your phone.

I want to update to 6.0.1 how hard can this be?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.